Humor on Soaps

• Members

I liked Alex best when she was crazy and was with Carlo, or mourning Carlo. The mayor thing was so bizarre, although I think it would have worked better if Malone hadn't left right after.

There were some funny moments where she tried to blackmail Herb into marrying her.

I do miss the GH humor of the 90s, it was very sly and multi-layered. What a surprise that this is gone since those at GH now don't "do" humor, unless you count Max and Milo. I won't count Maxie or Spinelli because that's just wrong.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never watched GH back in the '90s, but I can't even imagine it containing humor! That's the most dour soap ever, these days.

One thing I liked about GL in its later years was the off-handed casual style of humor. Sure, they had painful "comedy" moments complete with horrible music, but I'm not talking about that.

• Members

There's clips on YouTube even from the early 80s that are just great. I remember seeing one bit where Alan & Monica went to Susan's house to check on Jason (obv as a baby), and found her drunk and passed out on the couch. The two of them trying to get the house into some semblance of order, all the while making wisecracks, is just fantastic. You're right that you'd never see anything like that nowadays, and it's really a shame because it was moments like that that allowed you to process the dark mob-related stuff going on elsewhere in the show.

EDIT: OH LOOK, FOUND IT

Archived