Grace Jones sings "Tomorrow"

DRW50

• Members

Have you ever seen this? I watch it quite a bit. Grace Jones circa 1977 sings "Tomorrow" and gives it a great kick. It certainly fits the rough and tumble nature of the old comic strips more than the somewhat treacly movie and musical. It starts at about 4:40

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, I haven't kept up with Grace's more recent stuff, but I love what I've heard of her 70s and 80s stuff. When I found this clip I was baffled at the idea of her singing the Annie song but she really makes it fly. It's fascinating how easily adaptable the Annie songs are to different interpretations (eg, the rap version of Hard Knock Life).

• Members

Carl, "I Need A Man", and "La Vie En Rose" were my two favorites by her. Then a few of her later hits like "Pull up to the Bumper", and 'Nipple to The Bottle" are pretty awesome as well. As a performer, she's just MESMERIZING, she's the only woman I know who can perform with boobs falling out of her dress and hairy armpits and still be utterly FABULOUS:

• Members

My favorite of hers is "I Need a Man" and the one about "walking...walking...in the rain." And "Demolition Man." "My Caribbean Guy" is great too. I used to have a CD of hers with this crazy cover, I think she's totally naked, from the side, with only tape covering her nipples.

• Members

Love disco, love Broadway, love Grace but hate this,. It's from her second disco album (which has the divine slow disco Vie en Rose) which has a side two medley of showtunes from the time--Chorus Line's What I Did for Love, A Little Night Music's Send in the Clowns and this. LOL It's too campy even for me. Vie En Rose is my fave (and its followup clone song Autumn Leaves done exactly the same) but I love her Trevor Horn production, Slave to the Rhythm (in all its 22 hundred variations). Saw her in concert last year--she jumped into the crowd--was crazy (and clearly on something) but fabulous.

Archived