Would an 5-night a week night soap work?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

HBO does a 5 night a week drama, In Treatment. But its not a soap opera.

The MyNetworkTV cant really be used for the argument as that was on a startup network, the only programing, and it wasnt even on in all places.

Who knows, did anyone ever expect Leno to be on 5 nights a week in primetime? TV is changing. Perhaps one days soaps will land just off primetime, before or after. I think a push to later in the day would be better. Instead of 12-3 they should be on from 4-7. But will the format work on a later time like that? Thats the question. And with the tv landscape in the state its in what network can take that risk?

• Members

In Treatment sounds alot like an anthology series and, in many ways, those are sister series to the soap.

The new NBC Prexy needs to sack Leno and use that space to strip Dateline five nights a week. Nightline's jump to #1 in total viewers proves that now, more than ever, people are interested in news, even in a fast food format. I think that would be a better lead-in to the local news. Not to mention, Predator sweeps stunts, endless movie promotions with writer/director/actor interviews, breaking news developments, State of the Union addresses.

• Members

IT pretty much follows the life of a therapist. He has 4 different people he sees that the show shows. One on Mon, One on tue, etc til Thurs. On Friday he sees his therapist. Well thats how it was the first season. It was fantastic. But not really a soap opera in any way. Its kind of a take off on soaps much like one could argue that Law & Order is a take off of old west shows.

And i fully agree with you on NBC. I would actually watch Dateline 5 nights a week.

• Members

Yeah, "In Treatment" is an anthology series. Daytime use to air anthology series, even one like "In Treatment" called "Road to Reality," but I don't think there had been an English language anthologies in daytime since the 1980s. There was a revival of "Love, American Style" which lasted for a brief spell and a syndicated venture called "Romance Theatre."

In regards to the novelas, MyNetworkTV hasn't any real viable programming since they started. I just read they are becoming a syndication package now. Ellen Wheeler should have sold her soul to the devil to get Stu Segall to consult on "Guiding Light" when it went to its new format. The shows looked good, even if the acting was weak at times. It did manage to land Chris Engen, Dylan Bruce, Jon Prescott, Robert Buckley, Annalynne McCord, and Jaimie Alexander before they went on to star in the network soaps or primetime shows.

If you didn't watch any of the second or third set of novelas, you missed out. The network actually listened to its fans and was tweaking the formatting as they did each new set. If only network soaps did the same thing...

I would like to think soaps would thrive in a five to seven timeslot when people were home preparing dinner and cleaning up before relaxing and watching primetime programming. Supposedly, when MTV aired Spyder Games at 7:30, it was pulling good numbers for a cable outlet, but not enough to keep it on the air. I'd like to think there is hope for soaps.

• Members
Absolutely agree with this. Stu Segall produced the hell out of those telenovelas. They looked slick and cool.

Wicked Wicked Games was sick and delicious. I'll never forget when I missed a few episodes and caught up on them the next day, barely awake(at like 9AM), to see Blythe beat the sh!t out of and kill Hope. Especially since there was no advanced spoiler warning about it. Someone should seriously stunt cast Tatum O'Neal in a traditional daytime soap. I'd love to see what she could do(playing a bitch or a psycho, obviously) in that sort of format.

IIRC, Spyder Games was pulling a 1.9 Household towards the end of its run. That's pretty damn impressive for even back then. I think Spyder Games also hooked in alot of non-soap fans too. I recall being on an elevator talking to someone about it and this guy(who looked like he was way into sports and rap music) kind of interjected, "Hey, wasn't that the show with the guy whose head they found in the freezer? Yeah, I liked that show." :lol:

• Members

Bruckheimer has already struck again, haven't you heard? He's currently the mastermind behind a new undercover cop show called "Dark Blue" currently airing on TNT. It's a very bland cop show, IMO, compared to others, and the dialogue is quite cheesy.

• Members

I always felt those MyNetworkTV telenovelas were not given a proper chance to at least try and succeed. Fashion House was cheesy but I liked it a lot. Wasn't there another telenovela that was about two families duking it out in Miami, FL? I think it also had something to do with mobsters. What was the name of it?

• Members

"Saints and Sinners." Maria Conchita Alonso ate the whole goddamn set with her acting some times. The writing was better than the acting. Sylvia Capshaw had more layers written for her than Mel Harris was portraying. Chris Engen played the son of a drug lord involved with Julia (Tyler Kain). I would have liked to seen it play out as the story was fairly interesting and the subplots were good (the front desk girl who lusted after slutty Sloane and the cop undercover as a priest in love with Maria Conchita Alonso's pious daughter).

I enjoyed it's companion series "American Heiress" as well. Scriptwriter Richard Andreoli complained because the editors from "Watch Over Me" edited "American Heiress." The show had a better pace than "Fashion House."

• Members

My Network was running 2 shows back to back,right?

That is a big ask to expect viewers to commit to two serials 5 nights a week.Maybe had they run them one at a time Mon-Thurs(with a movie or some other programming on Fri)they might have had more of a chance.

In the UK,Coronation St,EastEnders etc did not begin as 5 eps a week.They built up to that.I think the UK success of Neighbours and Home and Away prompted them to expand,as it is obviously cheaper to do 1 show 5 times a week.

Also,I think UK TV rules were relaxed in this area.

In Australia,Neighbours plays at 6.30 and H&A at 7.00 across the country.The networks there do not have the same affiliate set up as the states.

These are syndication slots in the states and individual stations would have to program serials there(as they do with Wheel of Fortune,ET etc)

This was tried with Rituals in the mid 80's and failed.

It would be huge risk for the networks to program a serial at say 8.00 5 nights a week.Maybe something 3 nights Tues,Wed,Thurs over Summer for a limited run(6-10 weeks) could be viable.If it flopped,it would be dead and buried,but if it took off they could bring it back .

Back when Peyton Place and Batman took off in the mid 60's,they played twice a week and networks planned similar concepts.However,both shows cooled off in the ratings pretty quickly so everyone lost interest in that multiple programming.

As for Dateline running 5 nights,back in 98,NBC was running it Sun,Mon,Tues,Wed and Fri and the ratings were quite good.I remember some head honcho at the time saying that it would continue,or expand,but as soon as the newsmagazine genre lost favour,and ratings softened,that was changed.

One format that might be worth trying is a US version of The Bill,which for many years played twice a week in the UK and at one stage balanced the private and professional lives of the police.It utilised a large cast so that seperate stories could be taped and actors weren't too overworked.

It would appeal to both men and women.

• Members

B&B has high-quality production values. The PVs of the other soaps, even Y&R, aren't good enough for primetime but B&B definitely can pull it off. It would probably do OK if it aired at night though not sure how that would work with CBS.

Archived