Paul Avila Mayer has passed away

• Members

http://www.welovesoaps.net/2009/07/ryans-hope-co-creator-paul-avila-mayer.html

His most enduring work is what he made at RH with Claire Labine, but Labine, Mayer, and producer Jean Arley were also responsible for the revival of Love of Live in the early 70s, a show that up to that point had been all but completely written off. And they wrote for what is called one of the more surreal soaps ever, Where the Heart Is, full of actors who went on to great daytime fame and fortune.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

RIP.

I look at those old RH episodes on SoapNet and I'm amazed just how entertaining and riveting simple conversations were. The show felt a bit like a a slice of real life, soapy yes, but the characters were all so real and gritty to a point. Labine/Mayer's RH was one of the best humane and relationship soap operas ever created.

I guess a lot of people now, especially network execs, would see RH's earlier years as too "boring" and not plot driven enough, but those characters were so complicated and the show flowed very well in much of those early years.

• Members

The gorilla story was never that bad to me, I've never known why it was seen as a big downfall. It was just a brief story. The mob, and Kimberly, THOSE were downfalls and turned RH into being like every other soap.

I do love some of the early years, especially 1977-1978, when the show got into more of a groove.

What I love the most with RH is the long conversations between characters. Just gorgeously written dialogue flowing from person to person, and beautiful monologues delivered by some of the most incomparable actors to ever be on daytime.

• Members

It was old YouTube episodes of Love of Life (circa 74) that really made me appreciate the Mayer-Labine partnership. Great soap without all the bells, whistles and click-booms. From those clips alone, I am going to say that PAM was a talented, thoughtful and creative writer, and may he RIP.

• Members

I totally agree, it was very old-fashion soap with a more grounded spin. Sadly, the 80's and the rise of Monty's GH changed everything. Somehow, network execs and writers/producers got the idea that people don't want conversation driven soaps that took their time telling stories and shows that didn't involve a stunt of the the week and wasn't all about shock and awe.

I fully believe there's still a market out there for slow, conversation based soaps, that type of storytelling is just thought of as too old-fashioned and there seems to be a stigma against it in today's daytime world sadly.

One thing I've always noticed about Labine soaps, there's always beautiful dialogue and the most rich conversations...

• Members

Conversations between two matriarch housewives were invented by Irna Phillips. And they were - dreary. Either awfully written, unnatural dialogue, too expository or just plain long and lacking purpose. Harding Lemay hated them.

Those should be used sparingly. If at all. A big NO from me to domestic talk on daytime soaps.

• Members

Thing is, Ryan's Hope was a contemporary and gritty drama disguised as an old-fashioned soap opera. Delia is easily the best desperate housewife of all time. Pat paid dearly for his being a cad in those early years. Jill losing Edmund was devastating. Jack and Mary were so volatile yet so romantic. I wish it hadn't fallen victim to network tinkering.

Archived