Paul Avila Mayer has passed away

• Members

I would have minded her less if she'd had less airtime and hadn't ruined one of my favorite characters (Rae). Rae became "MAMA!" who constantly had to be persecuted by/hover over this retcon child and her dreams of being the world's best singer/dancer/actress and marrying a man twice her age, another story I thought was uncomfortable and which did Seneca no favors as a character.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I disagree 100% lol

That, to me, is quintessential soap opera. Kitchen table conversations around coffee...just doesn't get any better than that to me. I was thrilled when ATWT would kinda sorta have those types of scenes (albeit much, much shorter) a few years ago. Maddie would pop up at Gwen and Will's, Gwen would pour the coffee (with the brand name perfectly facing the camera), and they'd talk. That's my ish.

• Members

I don't think there's much to tell. After the last time they were pushed out at Ryan's Hope, in 1983, I don't believe they ever worked in the industry again at the same time as each other. Labine was not writing for any show in the years that Mayer wrote for Search for Tomorrow, et al. It seems like she had no interest in writing for another show while Ryan's Hope was still on the air, but that's just a guess - at least, she didn't write for another show while it was on the air (or for quite a few years after). By the time she returned to Ryan's Hope for the last time, without him, he had apparently left the industry for good. And who can blame him? My guess is that going from head-writing RH in the era when it was GH's red-headed stepchild as far as ABC was concerned to head-writing Search for Tomorrow in its NBC years must have been like going from the frying pan into the fire for Mayer, in terms of network interference in storytelling. It was the industry's loss, I'd say, and his passing now is an even greater loss.

Archived