June 15-19, 2009

Toups

• Members

Per Ed Scott

"It's proof a show can turn around in these difficult times, a soap can be saved," Scott says. "There needs to be leadership, drive, positive energy and a respect for the audience—but that's nothing new. It's old-school stuff. Of course, you don't have all the time in the world. You need to work hard and work fast."

Wasn't the magic number GL needed to achieve and maintain to avoid cancellation a 1.8?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I totally agree---I'll be curious to see what the SoapNet ratings for June are. It seems that while ABC has stayed on the 1.8-2.0 range, they've had growning numbers on SoapNet. It would be interesting to see what they look at.

• Administrator

It's certainly not the only reason why network ratings are low. I do think the ratings would be a bit if people only had one outlet to watch their soaps.

What was the last ratings report for Y&R on Soapnet? They had 700,000 Viewers (or was that 700,000 18-49 viewers)? Just half of that is a lot! Then say add half of the online views. It adds up.

Also, another key factor is there hardly any more....umm....I don't know the word for it...."breeding" (??) of viewers anymore. People use to watch soaps with their parents and grandparents and that doesn't happen anymore.

• Members

Has ABC done it's regular press release? Apparently Days was preempted quite a bit last week and another soap or two might have had that experience. I'm in Canada so we get it whether it's preempted in the US or not.

• Members

I honestly do not have a clue. GH is not good, but it isn't horrifically bad, just bad which is has been for years. Nothing out of the ordinary happened last week on the show. It may be a random fluctuation caused by unidentified external events or it could be that a large numbers of viewers decided that they had better things to do with their lives than watch GH.

• Members

It is rather odd. They have improved in a lot of key areas and it's been noticed. Arguably they have a long way to go, but that 1.6 was really off the scale especially since Friday was up again. This is why I want to see the press release... I know it will be spin but it might shed some light on it. Nothing big was happening storyline wise.

• Members

I'm not surprised about DAYS, they had a big week storywise and that had to have a falloff.

B&B never seems to stay down for too long. I'm disappointed about Y&R because I was hoping they'd go up with the focus on Nina/Kay/Jill last week. I hope this won't give them any idea about this story being a weak point.

As for GH, in the past few weeks, viewers have seen one of the most disgusting pairings in recent memory (Rebecca/Ethan) and seen the skincrawling Rebecca/Nikolas "romance". I can't remember if these ratings are for when he had her put on the dress his wife was murdered in and then humped her, but if it was, that alone cost some numbers. Their other big stories are about Sonny/Claudia and Sonny's nasty children. I can also imagine that a number of female viewers who had been hanging on by a thread tuned out after Michael woke up from his coma tuned out when they learned he was (surprise surprise) a raging woman-hater who verbally and physically attacks his mother, worships his thug father, and wants to join the mob.

Archived