Crystal Chappell Interview With Advocate.com

• Members

Read full interview here: http://www.advocate.com/exclusive_detail_ektid92107.asp

Some highlights:

Advocate.com: This is great news that you are coming back to Days as Carly. Was it an easy decision?

Crystal Chappell: It was. I was looking for a job, and it was one of those things that happened. I was in L.A., and I was driving by NBC to go to another meeting, and I thought, Gary Tomlin [co–executive producer of Days] is there, and I wanted to say hi. I went about my day and found out that same day that he called my contact information so he could talk to me. I am trying to listen to the signals in my life, and I thought it would be very interesting to go back and play this part after 16 years of being away. I am really happy to be going back, but it’s taking me a few days to get to this place. The day the news came out last Friday, I told my cast mates and they were unbelievably supportive and lovely, but I think the thing that dawned at me at that moment was, this was going to be the end of the character of Olivia. I kind of went through this little wallow over the weekend and went, Oh my God! This is so sad for me!

In all online reports, it says that you put out feelers to The Young & the Restless too.

Crystal Chappell: I had meetings with everybody in the soap business. Y&R’s Paul Rauch [co–executive producer] and I go way back from his days at Guiding Light. I know B&B’s exec Brad Bell… I know everybody. When you have been around long enough, you know people. I talked with everybody to touch base. But, I was so intrigued about going back to Days, and it was also a timing thing and giving that another shot. I think it’s become an interesting show with Gary running it.

How has your husband reacted to your decision to go to Days?

Crystal Chappell: He pretty much let’s me make my own decisions about things. As you know, we have two small children and obviously I have to think about them. I am the one who works in my family. I am so fortunate that I have another job to go to and one that I am prepared to enjoy. I had a really good time at Days last time. My husband had been talking to me about the character of Carly and I went, I don’t know who this character is anymore. After two Bos [Robert Kelker Kelly and Peter Reckell] and so many years, it’s going to be an adjustment. I am back to Peter Reckell now, but I said, What I like about Olivia is she can be very brassy and I like her sense of humor. She can be more of a wild spirit. So, I am going to try to infuse those qualities into the character, as Michael calls it, Carly 2.0, because Carly the first time around was very reserved. I have every intention of making her a lot more fun. It’s an interesting challenge. I am happy to have it.

Guest dc cubs

I'm excited about Carly 2.0. I liked Carly before but she was sort of one note. I'm looking forward to Crystal bringing brass and humor to the role. I have enjoyed Crystal's portrayal of Olivia on GL.

It sounds like she is starting earlier than planned. If she's taping in August she should be on the air sometime in September.

• Members

Carly was what DAYS needed at the time.... a heroine. a true and utter 100% of the word heroine. They didnt have marlena, they just lost hope. She filled a void and filled it well.

Sher was also young, niave, and all that jazz.

I really cant wait to see how she has changed.

• Members
I never knew you were a DAYS fan, Sylphy. :lol:

I KNOW!

I am like, shocked.

really... wow.

Right now on youtube i am watching Bo & carly's love story... its at the point where Lawerance has Jenn and Alice and Frankie is about to come back as her brother.. great stuff!

• Members
:o

really?

you should post in the Days thread... it would be a welcomed view.

I never knew you were a DAYS fan, Sylphy. :lol:

Boy, am I ashamed to admit I watched DOOL. Quite a lot, not a huge amount and not regularly, but I did. zjjy95.gif I hated... Like... A lot. :lol: And often it was background noise.

But Crystal? I can't miss that!

I wish she came to B&B and wiped away Katherine Kelly Lang... <_< That show needs a whole lot of new women.

P. S. Jack, thanks! I'll reply to that thing you asked.

• Members
I'm excited about Carly 2.0. I liked Carly before but she was sort of one note. I'm looking forward to Crystal bringing brass and humor to the role. I have enjoyed Crystal's portrayal of Olivia on GL.

It sounds like she is starting early than planned. If she's taping in August she should be on the air sometime in September.

I think that when CC was first on Days.She seemed shy.I noticed that on that old Vicky Lawernce talk show where that CC and MS were on.She seemed more comfortable with Michael.Maybe thats why the Lawernce and Carly scenes were so good.LOL But she has improved so much.She seems more comfortable now.I wish they would bring Lawernce and Vivian back though.I have to admit one of my fav scenes was after Carly was rescued and had amnesia and Bo was stalking the Alamain house and had just found out she was alive.Katrina was so bitchy to Bo.and then Marlena and Roman who showed up.Maybe they won't write her as the victim all the time.I mean the girl something was always happening to her.LOL whether it was being buried alive.Surely the girl has clauphobia.LOL or finding out that her son was kidnapped.Not to mention how many times she was almost killed.The girl has to have some of that Alamain ruthlessness.I mean I find it hard to believe that Lawernce went all goody goody.

Archived