Question about HW

• Members

I was just reading some old articles found on newspapers and something intrigued me. Was Pat Falken Smith temporaily replaced in mid-1980 by Gordon Russell? I did not know about this but the article mentionned something like that. It is about Kin Shriner leaving to "Texas"

"As for the role of Scotty, it's not official as to whether the role will be recast or written out. It's important to note that come Aug. 11 Gordon Russell — former headwrlter for One Life to Live — takes over as head scripter of GH from Pat Falken Smith. Just a month ago, Falken Smith was assured by the powers that be that her job was safe."

Can someone help me clear this out?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have read before that Gordon Russell was slated to take over GH,but he was unable to do so due to ill health.

Gordon Russell died of cancer January 1981.

I would propose that his health took a downturn and he not in a position to work at that time.

• Members

Thanks Paul, I was just surprised reading it. Pat Falken Smith must have been hard to work with. Another article mentionned that after Falken Smith left to join DAYS again, there was no head writer for a while (the article mentions that six writers were writing together) before the Corringtons took over. I had always thought that Robert J. Shaw took over after Smith's departure but it seems that the Corringtons head wrote GH before "Capitol" started. I am right?

• Members

Interesting you should say that.

When Pat Falken Smith joined Days,I read an interview in Afternoon TV(since lost)with Pat,that Gloria Monty was difficult to work with.

I recall the quote along the line that Gloria found fault in every outline and storyline.

I think Doug Marland hinted at similar issues with Ms Monty.

It seems that as Exec Producer,Gloria had a strong vision and wanted writers who would follow that vision.

• Members

Here's a quote from Marland

“There was going to be a long love story between Luke and Laura before he was going to be killed,"remarks Marland,who hastens to add that"Luke's popularity would have been noted by then and it(the story)would have changed”.

But before he had the opportunity to script Luke and Laura's storyline,he was fired. Although it has been reported that bitter disagreements with Gloria Monty as to how the Scotty/Laura/Luke triangle should progress was the reason behind Marland's dismissal,Douglas denies those allegations. After noting that he wanted Scotty and Laura's marriage to last longer than three weeks and Gloria wanted the marriage gone,”Marland says,”I wasn't fired because of Gloria's storyline demands. She wanted me to move to California and I refused. I had written the show for two and a half successful years from Connecticut so I didn't see why I suddenly needed to be in California."

Although he denies a clash with Monty,the above sentences speak for themselves.

• Members

I was just thinking of Pat's short stint in GL after her second run as HW on DAYS. She left very soon. Gloria Monty tried to replace her with Gordon Russell when she was on GH. I think they had both very strong personalities.

About GH writers I was talking about, it looks like Thom Racina and Leah Laiman wrote GH after Smith left (or was fired: it is very disputed in articles I have read) but Shaw was credited as HW (I don't really know why). The Corringtons took over for a short time then Anne Howard Bailey until 1985. I am in a "listing head writers" mood ^_^

• Members

Pat's 2nd stint as HW was short circuited due to her lawsuit that went back to her original stint on DOOL.

I am not denying Pat might have been difficult to work with,but Gloria was not blameless in that regard.

I am a bit of a headwriter junkie also and would like to sort out the dates of GH and others where there is confusion.

Hope others might be able to clear things up.

Archived