Another World

• Members

It's all case by case.  Sometimes writers ask about character histories, and sometimes they don't.  Some actors speak up if they see a historical error, and others get tired of doing so and they just give up. Depending on the atmosphere in the studio, most of the time it's not considered bad form to speak up, but ultimately the decision is made by the executive producer and/or the writer.  Convening a panel of fans to monitor continuity would be cumbersome and inefficient, and I don't believe that has ever been done.  In the old days -- like pre-1980, continuity was considered more important and many shows had a person on staff who would look for continuity errors.  But after most shows transitioned to the 60-minute format,  monitoring continuity became more difficult with so many characters and divergent storylines.  And as soaps began to take themselves less and less seriously (some to the point of practically making fun of themselves), TPTB pretty much quit caring about accurate history and just began to write whatever they felt like writing.  

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Absolutely. Did Sandy and Blaine live in the mansion or were they in a separate building?

Speaking of continuity, the AWHP has some addresses and phone numbers. The address of the Cory estate appears to vary. I'm not sure whether the phone number for the "Cory studio" is intended to be a dedicated line for Rachel's studio or something else. (KBAY is listed separately.)

Before VCRs I think the assumption was often that minor details didn't matter because viewers wouldn't retain fleeting references so it wouldn't be worth the effort to track minutiae.

I haven't come across the Lesoleil visualization where I believe Kathleen saw images of her mother (at this time still deceased and not yet named Mary) in 1985, but I did notice that she had a photo of her mother in a locket in this pre-Christmas episode. It's only a quick glimpse. Obviously it doesn't look like Denise Alexander. Maybe it could be Julie Osburn made up to look older but I don't think so?

• Members

Two things come to mind about the Cory estate.

1. The Cory stables must have been re-built at some point because Rachel set it on fire when she shot Mitch (although it was referenced as a barn, so maybe the barn and the stable were separate structures?).
  2. Also, if memory serves, I think Louise and Brooks lived in separate quarters on the property, not in the main house.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I think the shows still have someone in charge of continuity. Sometimes that is called the Script Editor. Sometimes other titles. Sometimes it is a writer who is called a producer. I know when GL & ATWT were on the air that they had them. At that time, and I believe still now, they take/took pictures of people, costumes, parts of the set so the continuity could be made to match when they shoot out of order. 

If we believe Susan Lucci's memoir, toward the end when Chuck Pratt, Jr. came in, he told the entire cast 2 things. 1. He did not believe in character-driven story. 2. They were to forget everything they knew about their character's history. 

Then he told them he was there to shake things up. 

I recently learned that Kristian Alfonso kept many scripts so she could prove to people things she knew about her character. DAYS Hope. 

• Members

Since we are discussing continuity -- I noted this while watching episodes from 1989 that had this exchange between Donna and Felicia, and I meant to come back to it because there was a later scene (maybe around Xmas when Vicky had kidnapped Steven and was hiding out?) where Vicky does mention the Carsons. I wonder whether the timing was such that there was a fan response to the first scene so they added the reference with Vicky to fill in the gap.

• Members

It was indubitably a mistake, but I wonder if the Royal Dunning of it all creates a credible excuse that he illegally placed Victoria with Carsons, and they never officially adopted her? 

But, now that you mention it, is the correct story that the Carson's were wealthy (maybe not as rich as the Loves), because they could afford a nanny.  However, when they died, Vicky went to live with Bridget and that's how she wound up in the same neighborhood as Jake McKinnon?  Because I wonder why Vicky wasn't left the Carson's estate in their will?

Edited by j swift

• Members

Mimi Torchin is a friend & she told me awhile back that she really thinks one of the terrible things that happened to soaps more recently, like in the past 20 years, as opposed to before, think about Goutman at the end of ATWT & Chuck Pratt at the end of AMC, anyway, to get to her point: Execs, both EPs & HWs: hubris & arrogance. 

And, in Susan Lucci's memoir she really had her eyes opened by Brian Frons & she said to her he is the most dangerous combination: ignorance and arrogance. And, Susan Lucci never said a critical word about ANYONE in 40 years till Frons canceled AMC the same day he did OLTL on a whim. 

• Members

I remember when the Dobsons took over at GL and introduced Emmet Scott and daughter Jackie Scott Marler and it was raised if she was related to Peggy Thorpe (still on the show) and they had no idea that 10 years before Peggy and her parents Ben and Maggie Scott  were major characters.

• Members

Maloney, M., & Bell, L. P. (2012). The Young and Restless Life 0f William J. Bell. Sourcebooks, Inc.

Excerpts from 

p.38

Irna & Bill co-created Another World. The show bible dated 8-26-63 is 24 pages long. "In a community not too far from Oakdale, a community near the university -- one that is certainly not what we usually think of as suburbia but not completely cosmopolitan either -- live two families," Irna & Bill wrote.

"As far as Another World is concerned, we believe that in some way we all create 'another world' for ourselves. If we didn't, facing reality 24 hours a day would be too much. But as for another world for women, we feel that the viewer, who we hope will come to know all the people to whom you've been introduced will recognize in this story that a home and a family should be solidified & not attached."

Creating AW also provided valuable lessons. "It was a whole new level of learning," Bill said of starting an original daytime series. Another World, which Rose Cooperman titled & which chronicled the lives of the Matthews family.

Bill & Irna left AW & James Lipton came in but then he also left & Agnes Nixon came in. Her Alice/Steve/Rachel triangle put the show on the map.

"Aggie did a fabulous job with that show," praised Bill.

p. 40 
Bill learned many things from Irna, including the importance of protecting his writers. ATWT cast member Don Hastings was privy to what went on in the writers' room, courtesy of his own brief writing stint with Irna. He recalls: "If someone from P&G or CBS didn't like a script and said, "Who wrote this?" Irna would say, "I write all the scripts! If you don't like it, it's my fault because I'm the one who said this is something that should be broadcast!"

Did anyone know that Rose Cooperman named the show? 
Edited by Donna L. Bridges
1 thought

• Members

Vicky was pretty busy already at that time -- she got engaged to and married Grant, held prisoner in an ice cave, cheated on Grant with Ryan. And since Victoria had never talked about knowing anyone from the Carson family after her parents died and Bridget was the only one who cared for her, could there be any emotional reason for her to get to know the family or would it have to be financial or to deal with some kind of scandal that would cause a problem for Grant's political career? Christy and Douglas seemed to be specifically designed as a short-term speed bump for Cass and Frankie, but I suppose either Vicky could have been involved in the trial over Douglas' death or another Carson could have come to town because of the trial and whatever storyline with Victoria could have ensued.

There have been quite a few minor surname reuses that were never intended to mean anything. Most just sound like very generic English surnames, although a few might have been meaningful to the writer for some reason as well. In fact in some cases the same names probably showed up all around P&G. For example:

• Victoria's adoptive parents Grace and Philip Carson and Frankie's friend's husband Douglas Carson.
  • Felicia's secretary Miss Devon and her long-lost daughter Lorna Devon.
  • Scott's girlfriend Patricia Kirkland and Grant and Ryan's mother Justine Kirkland.
  • Donna and Michael's foster child Mikey Miller (parents Eve and Toby); and Victoria's Kirkland substitute Sean Patrick Miller (parents Laurie and Patrick); Courtney's abusive ex-boyfriend Andrew Miller.
  • Thomasina's social worker Rita Kent and Iris' boyfriend Hank Kent (son Tommy and ex-wife Sheri).
  • Sally Madison (who killed Lucas and her brother Rick); Chris Madison and his mother Rita.
  • Sylvie Kosloff's sister Myrtle Benson, multiple murderer Nurse Emily Benson, obsessed Dr Taylor Benson.
  • Michael Randolph's fiancee Karen Campbell, Nurse Joyce Campbell (who I believe had a deaf son so she bonded with Brittany), and Olivia's physical therapist David Campbell.

Edited by Xanthe
punctuation to limit the number of Sally Madison's victims