GL: Will The Light Burn Out Out Come Sept?

• Members

CBS Shopping for ‘Light’ Replacement

Network Weighs Fate of Long-Running Soap

By Josef Adalian

CBS may soon decide to pull the plug on “Guiding Light,” the longest-running daytime drama in television history.

While no final decision has been made, the network’s deal for the Procter & Gamble-produced drama—the least watched of the eight daytime serials currently on the air—ends in September. But if CBS does drop “Guiding Light,” it likely would lock in a decision within the next month, people familiar with the matter said. That would give writers a chance to tie up storylines.

CBS also would need to finalize new programming for the daytime hour that “Guiding Light” would be vacating.

In the most significant indication that the network is seriously pondering life without “Guiding Light,” CBS has been talking to outside studios about potential replacement programming for the show, sources said.

Possibilities under discussion include both game shows and talk shows. CBS could easily cut its programming costs for the hour in half by switching away from a scripted drama.

Representatives for CBS and P&G declined comment.

In addition to contracting with an outside studio for programming to replace “Light,” CBS daytime chief Barbara Bloom has been developing possible in-house candidates for the soap opera’s slot.

CBS executives are taking their time deciding the fate of “Light,” which has survived more than 70 years on radio and television. P&G also produces the CBS soap “As the World Turns.”

Nonetheless, a decision by CBS to end “Light’s” run on the network wouldn’t be a surprise.

The serial has been the subject of cancellation rumors for the better part of a decade. Those rumors became particularly intense within the past 18 months, but P&G threw something of a Hail Mary pass last year when it implemented a radical reworking of “Light’s” production model.

On Feb. 29, 2008, the show ditched its traditional storytelling style in favor of a lower-cost model that also was intended to give the show a more realistic, less staged feel. Around the same time, CBS renewed “Light” for the current season, retaining an option for an additional season.

Ratings for the show haven’t improved since the switch. “Light” is averaging a 0.9 rating among women 18-49 and a 1.6 household rating, according to Nielsen. Season-to-date, it’s averaging 2.17 million viewers and a 0.9 rating in women 18-49; season-to-season, it’s down 18% in viewers and down 25% in the demographic.

“Light” began life as a radio soap opera, moving to CBS television.

Moving to the Web?

It’s possible P&G or CBS could attempt to keep the show alive in some form on the Internet, though doing so likely would require another radical reinvention of its production model.

Much of the daytime drama business is struggling, with ratings for most soaps down significantly over the past decade. NBC is down to one soap, “Days of Our Lives,” following the decision to dump “Passions” in 2007 (the show survived one more season on DirecTV).

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2009/03/cbs_sho...ght_replace.php

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

(cue posts saying the show needs to die, daytime will be reinvented in a blaze of glory, and so on)

I know there were some rumors the show was going to get another year. The ratings still aren't that great, so a cancellation won't surprise me. I do hope they stay, I think the show still has some life left (which is more than I can say for 2 or 3 other creatively dead, repulsive soaps), but I'm definitely not expecting a renewal.

It's telling that the first options they talk about are game shows and talk shows.

With the truly sad state of Price is Right, another game show is the last thing they need to worry about, but that's another topic entirely.

Anyway...I know every show has to end, but I'll probably still hope for another extension.

• Members

This would never, EVER happen, but I would love to see them do a revamped Wheel of Fortune...return to the shopping era, slow the pace of the show down, give away those camptastic prizes in those showcase rooms, and get a goodlooking, game show vet to host. Hell, even Doug Davidson would do. And since CBS/Paramount already has a marriage with Wheel by way of Sony(they distribute the show via its syndication arm), what better way to get in bed with Sony again by stripping the show for the daytime audience? Then Sony could have three daytime properties in network television instead of two. Unless there's an affliates issue? NuDaytimeWheel would beat GL hands down.

Or what if CBS dipped into FREEmantle's lot of game shows? Press Your Luck? Card Sharks(but please, not like 2001)?

Or even acquiring Lingo or Friend or Foe from GSN?

I definitely don't want a talk show or a VIEW ripoff on CBS. Unless they brought Leeza out of retirement. That leggy piece of cheese was always alot of fun when she was on NBC.

At least Bloom is smart enough to keep their hour in daytime instead of giving it away to the affiliates. It shows the network doesn't want daytime(at least a daytime filled with network programming) to die.

• Members

I'm not sure how successful any game show will be now, especially some of those which rely more on the chemistry of the hosts than on the format. If they have to have one I'd rather they just bring Password back to daytime. They don't need Regis as a host, and they don't even need anyone that famous for panelists. If they are that desperate to get rid of GL, they could always just make the cast members celebrity panelists.

• Members

As soon as I saw Nelson Branco saying GL's return was probably a done deal and ATWT was up in the air, my first thought was, "GL's probably going to get canceled now."

I'm only half-kidding.

Who was it who hosted the other version of Wheel of Fortune, the one Pat Sajak didn't host?

• Members

I do like Chuck Woolery, for Love Connection alone, I haven't seen his other shows.

Thank you jack. Bob Goen is the one I was thinking of. I like him on ET but he didn't seem to be as good at the hosting job as Pat Sajak is.

• Members

If this had been a year ago, I honestly wouldn't have cared if CBS had pulled the plug. But there's been such a creative resurgence of late, and they're finally making this new production model look pretty good (except from some of the hideous sets)...it would be a shame for it to go when it's finally finding its feet.

Still, maybe it's better GL go out on a high than fall back down to the doldrums when Wheeler&Co eventually screw up all the things that are working right now.

• Members

My fingers are crossed that CBS does not find a viable replacement for GL because if GL is canceled ATWT will not be too far behind, it may get a couple more years at most. Also, think of all those production people out of work in this economy. Terrible.

• Members

"Guiding Light" is so much better than most soaps on air today as they have gone through transitions to make their business model work. As we know that the daytime soap genre is declining but it calls for a change within as it also calls for us daytime fans to tune in and support it. See what is going on with the Big Three Auto where the business model isn't working, this is where daytime has to start changing and now is the time. GL has made the first move in order to stay on the air and I cannot think of any legendary soap opera worth fighting for, because creatively, GL have gone leaps and bounds in the past six months.

NOW is the time to call Mr. Moonves at (212) 975-4321 and your local affiliates tell them that you want to keep the "Light" shining. GL has been rocking for the past six months and we all want the show to stay on the air so TUNE IN!!!!! It's time for us to make ourselves heard via phone, USPS mail, and e-mail and that GL is the show we watch and love because it is the longest running show on air with such rich history and compelling acting/writing.

KEEP THE "LIGHT" SHINING! :)

• Members

Wasn't 1.8 the ratings target GL had to hit in order to survive? Have they hit it? I wonder how P&G is doing as whole. I can easily see the company wanting to streamline and get out of the TV business altogether.

I agree with those who say no more talk shows but I suspect that's what they'll go with. There's a lot of D-listers out there who'd love to sit around a table and give their opinion on Octomom or how to leave a smaller carbon footprint.

Archived