Is PASSIONS coming to an End?

• Members

Also from SoapCentral

Is Passions Coming to an End?

Posted Sunday, December 11, 2005 8:02:43 PM

NBC's two daytime dramas have been beset with rumors that their days are coming to an end. Typically, cancellation rumors dog just one soap at a time - CBS's Guiding Light has been rumored to be on its last leg for the better part of a decade.

Days of our Lives marked its 40th year on the air in November 2005. But the show nearly never it made it to that magic milestone. In 2003, talks between the distributor of Days of our Lives and the show's owners broke down and it looked for a time that the show might not have a future on NBC.

Passions, which debuted in July 1999, has been wildly popular with the advertiser-demanded younger viewers, but, for the most part, has failed to capture the attention of a larger viewing audience. The supernatural soap has languished in the ratings basement nearly every week since its debut.

With its ratings hovering around 1.7 - or about 1.87 million daily viewers - Passions has been an easy target for cancellation rumors. When the show launched a much hyped "Lady in Red" storyline, talk began that this new character would help the show wrap up its open-ended storylines and provide for a way to end the show.

That's not the case according to several key cast members.

"Just wanted 'Evian' [Eve and Julian]fans to know that the cast and crew of Passions knows [the rumor of Passions] being canceled is completely false," said Ben Masters (Julian Crane) and Tracey Ross (Eve Russell) in a posting on a Passions web site. "We haven't heard anything negative about the future of Passions. Don't rely on these 'reliable' or 'unnamed' sources."

"Rumors are just that," added Eric Martsolf (Ethan Crane) on his official web site. "No worries, guys."

Passions, meanwhile, does come up for renewal in January 2006. NBC has traditionally renewed the show one year at a time. The network has not yet made an announcement about the show's future.

• Members
^^

While I always hate seeing ANY daytime drama get axed, if a show came in to replace PASSIONS then I wouldn't really mind NBC axing it.

However, if NBC axes PASSIONS and doesn't replace it with a new soap, then I am TOTALLY against it.

And there are no new daytime soaps in development. I know someone said over at CR that Megan Mullally's show is going to replace Passions for NBC but that is impossible because MM show is syndicated and will air on different affiliates. Yeah some NBC stations have bought it but so did Viacom and other companies. It is going to air on the CBS affiliate in Indy.

• Members

I would love for Passions to get cancelled and replaced with a new soap. I think it could be *so* good if they got a new headwriter who could really focus on the show and tie things together. Dropping the quirkiness of the show has killed it. It's also waaaaaaaay too slow.

• Members

Passions is a show that has always had so much potential. I don't think it deserves to be cancelled by any means, but it could improve in a few areas. James E. Reilly needs to focus on Passions and pull it all back together. I hate the fact the Fancy has been on the show for months and she just had a scene with Fox. I hate that they don't pull things together cohesively. Some great performances have come out of the show lately namely Liza Huber. I think Passions could be a great soap with the right grooming.

Archived