How much of a garbage daytime soaps really are?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This post is garbage! "...they represent a distorted, prettified reality full of false dreams, terrible, clichéd stories written all over again..." :blink: "...I wonder genuinely and I hope someone will illuminate me..." SERIOUSLY, who talks like this!!?!? Is this a parody? (Or I guess using your dignified vocabulary, we'd have to say 'satire!')

• Members

You do realize that most people don't know who Verlaine and Rimbaud are, correct? That doesn't make them uncultured or unintelligent. It means that they don't know who Verlaine and Rimbaud are. They don't like poetry, maybe. Maybe they don't like French poetry. Maybe they don't like 19th century French poetry.

Honestly, this makes me laugh. You don't like a lot of stuff in literature and music, but you "appreciate" them nonetheless. Might this be translated as..."Well, I don't get why this is so great, but all of the rich 'intelligent' people say that it's great, so I'll say that it's great." If we were slaves, you'd probably be the one grandstanding to the rest of us that massa knows best.

• Members

I keep getting stuck on the title of this thread. Is this even grammatically correct?

"Garbage," I take as a plural, but the "a" singularizes it. A garbage... dump? A heap of garbage?

"Are daytime soaps really garbage, and if so, how much?"

I think that says it better, but maybe I'm reading with my uncultured glasses and misinterpreted. All My Shadows, can you enlighten me?

I thought Verlaine/Rimbaud was a brand of pasta sauce. Whoops!

• Members

This thread is pure hilarity and bitchery, mixed into a unique concoction. I love it! :lol:

I'm not even sure I understand what exactly Sylph is getting at.

I do agree with the "subjective" ideology that is preached in this thread.

But I also think there are a few people who hate soaps and want soaps to be something else than what they are. Hardling Lemay admitted to this in the past. He said he was ashamed of writing soap operas for a long time, and tried his hardest to elevate what he saw as cliche soap writing to something that was more theatrical, and to his credit, he did start off as a playwright. I can't say he was wrong though, after all, his 70's stint at AW is considered a high peak in terms of soap writing. This belief that soaps should be more than what they traditionally were arguably started with Lemay and got much more out of hand with others, like Monty and even Reilly. To their credit, Lemay, Monty, and Reilly brought many people to the soap genre that probably never would've come otherwise.

• Members

:lol: :lol: :lol:

As somebody who's traded numerous barbs with the original poster over the years, I really think Vee said it best with her "dance-puppets-dance-routine" line. But I think his question does provoke some good discussion that I've enjoyed reading, so I'm glad for that... even if his motivations and responses were meant to push people's buttons.

But it is a message board, and I (and I'm only speaking for myself) do enjoy the debate of the question. The talking-down-to, not so much. But you take the good, take the bad. (Take 'em both and there you have... oh, wait. That's a TV theme song. Not very enlightened of me at all. :P )

Amen, sister! :D

• Members

You should have posted "I told u I wuz hardcore"

Be sure to cycle over to the next round of mood adjusters for the evening, Sylph, we wouldn't want you to miss any more beats than you already have. How society has gone so long being denied the spectacle of you crawling up your own ass with a "sassy strut" seven days a week I just don't know.

• Members

I love the posters at this board. Been laughing my ass off all day without the aid of mood-altering prescription meds. We need a "Best Day Ever" segment on The SON Insider to highlight the good times, like this one.

Back to my rocks and figuring out what brand of pasta sauce to buy now that I've learned the much hyped Verlaine/Rimbaud sauce doesn't exist. D'oh! <_<

• Members

I was actually laughing at how much distortion this thread suffered. How it all plummeted like a train off a bridge (yeah, there goes my favourite phrase). It's just hilarious, tragic, unbelievable, a whole lot of things. And all because people thought I was ridiculing bellcurve.

Archived