AMC Getting a Studio Downgrade?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've always thought OLTL would be the first to go but I assume it will be gone by 2011 at the latest. All this stuff going on with AMC - the pay cuts, a change in studio (although I don't believe that rumor), bringing on Pratt, Lucci on DWTS - shows a desire to promote the show and try to make it work. OLTL is just going along doing what it does. It's ratings are stable and as long as it stay on budget ABC won't screw with it. No interference but no real investment either.

• Members

This still doesn't make a lick of sense. For one there's no mention of moving out the View, which shares studio space with AMC. So if even AMC were to go they'd either move The View too, which I don't see happening, or ABC would still be left with the space.

OLTL moving makes a TON more sense--they don't have space for the sets they have now, and say what you want about Frank and his budget, it can't be cheap running pretty much a 24 hour crew for sets. OLTL in a larger space would cut a TON of money, not leave space like with AMC.

• Members

77 W 66th st is actually the ABC offices, but AMC is not there. OLTL is across the street from there, but AMC is down the street in the other ABC offices at 360 W 66th St, and where The View also is. Which is why this is off--there's a lot more in the 360 building besides AMC.

• Members

Right, I didn't mean to cause any confusion! :D The 320 address is the one I was referring to in my OP with ABC etched in stone (although it is on a smaller scale at the prior mentioned facility too). I think it would be a huge slap in the face if they kept The View there, and sent AMC to another borough. I don't know, I'm just going to chill on this until there's more information (if any). But if they do move AMC, it certainly isn't a good sign. Money talks, and AMC walks? Oy. There is a lot of potential cash in a studio space in Manhattan, let alone one so centrally located. I have no idea what ABC would use it for, it's not like there are that many series that film in New York, but if ABC still owns the space, they will of course use it. Maybe they see more potential in renting it out, but in this economy, who can afford that? Production companies would, like the others, go to less expensive Brooklyn or Queens.

• Members

so would it maybe make sense (not sure how much space it is, but it sounds like a lot) if 2 or 3 of the soaps shared that large studio space and the expenses that came with it? If it's big enough, maybe all 3 ABC shows could use a piece of it? Though in Manhattan, maybe moving to a cheaper locale would still be cheaper than splitting the cost of that studio three ways...

Archived