Jon Stewart - The Most Trusted Man in the US?

Sylph

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I saw an ad for the CBS Evening News the other day that included Walter Cronkite's image imposed behind Katie Couric's. I guess the network is trying to reclaim some reputation as the most trusted name in network news by reminding people that it was home to Uncle Waltie.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I love this.....

http://www.indecision2008.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'>

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

It's interesting to see the smirky-smirky type of pundits, like Rachel Maddow and Bill Maher, become discomfited about Stewart and his intentions. Bill Maher, who spent years and years enabling Republicans, playing the both sides are bad and I'm a libertarian song and dance, and helping to launch the careers of several conservative stars, smirkily tells everyone about how wrong Stewart was and how both sides aren't the same.

The whole sneery disdain type of persona that a lot of these names put out means that in their mind everyone does come across as the same. I think some of them now realize what this attitude has helped to do to our culture, and are pushing back, but it's a little late.

Stewart, like Craig Kilborn before him, started out very smirky on the Daily Show, but then over the years began to take it more seriously. It can be jarring, because you wait for the laugh and then sometimes you get this Paddy Chafesky routine. I think he sees himself as having a real message to deliver, whether he'll admit it or not.

Archived