OLTL: Discussion for the week July 21st - 25th

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Powell One and Two never made it to Llanview. Victor's sister Gwendolyn Lord Abbott, played to perfection by Joan Copeland (who later popped up as Nora's mother, Selma Hanen) was on for several years in the late 70s. Aunt Gwen was one of those bluest of blue blood, "Daughter of Fine Lineage" dragon ladies like Phoebe Tyler and was about the only person who could make Viki feel gauche for marrying beneath her station. Sadly, Gwen left Llanfair for her manse in Maine; I like to imagine her in Kennebunkport giving hell to nouveau riche Barbara Bush for using the wrong fork and being mortified at the depths to which her brother's family has sunk.

Her son, Richard, lasted a bit longer as an earnest, young romantic lead, having had a star crossed romance with country bumpkin Becky Lee Hunt and then almost marrying Tina before she dumped him for Cord (and before she was revealed to be Victor's daughter). Needless to say, Gwen didn't approve.

I'd also like to acknowledge Robin Strasser's mesmerizing high wire act this week. The way she has Dorian teetering from tragic and vulnerable with Mel to icy and scheming with David to resigned and bittersweet about Viki, without missing a single beat along the way, has been simply brilliant.

• Members

Actually the Marty and Todd is one part of the show that I am enjoying. Maybe I am a little perverted, but I love the complexity of their story. It is so much better than the teen scene, Starr and Cole. Todd is keeping Marty from her family, yet he is helping her get better. He is telling her about her past but only part truths. You can tell he feels guilty yet is telling her what he wishes were the truth. He doesn't want her to remember the rape and what he did to her. It is not just a black and white story but one with lots of grays.

• Members

I agree with both parts of that post! Yeah what Todd is doing is quite despicable, but I'm also enjoy that we are seeing him feeling some guilt about it......just as we are seeing the Dorian feeling some guilt about some the stuff she's done.

Gig and Brody...hot.

Archived