ALL: Where is the trash?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

See, that is what I was thinking.

Now, I'm not really a "camp" guy. I do stick with Bold and Beautiful, but that is more out of Bell loyalty. And that show has never hit real camp since Brad stopped writing for Darlene Conley (long before she died).

I watched OLTL, every scene, on Thurs/Fri. And here is the thing: I smiled from ear to ear. It was rollicking, entertaining fun. It felt a bit like filler, setting us up for Monday-Tuesday next week...but that's okay.

Yet, when it was over, I felt kind of stupid. Like I had just watched trash. I could only justify it as trash. I had to explain to others who saw me watching it that was "big and broad" and "an homage to the over-the-top 80s" (and even the 60s, with the Charlie rehab scenes...shades of Odyssey House). I didn't feel smart or clever for watching it. I felt, honestly, like I was watching something a notch-or-two up from Passions.

I'm very worried about the long-term health of OLTL I think. The show is fun, but I don't think it is sustainable. I want stories that make me FEEL in addition to smile. I thought Nash's death qualified...but we need more heartfelt emotion. As a case in point: Mendorra is where I want to change the channel. REALLY...Thom Chrisopher is going to force Talia to marry that guy...or kill Antonio?? Goodness, where is the Crane family?

The best camp is so sprinkled with bon mots that it leaves you breathless with crackling dialogue. Santa Barbara was obviously the best at this. When you watch smart people besting other smart people verbally.

Now, compare that to Robin Strasser's OVER THE TOP sighing and sparring with Viki--for no good reason--in the car yesterday.

OLTL has potential, it is HANDS DOWN the most fun thing on TV right now. But fun is like casual sex....it cannot last for the long haul.

• Members

:rolleyes: The show is cr*p, not trash. Two very distinct concepts.

Yeah, you really have the feeling you watched a demented soap with badly recycled '80s soap opera elements. And the baaad acting and terrible dialogue do not help.

Archived