Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

Lachlan wasn't interested in any more school - he just started a business with Victoria.

Joe is mostly just there now to pine over Debbie, sadly, unless they decide to revive that awful 'feud' with Robert.

Lachlan, Joe and Vanessa are and have always been plot devices. How one feels about them depends on how one feels about the actors or the scripts, I guess. I don't really have a problem with Vanessa, I certainly prefer the present stuff to when her sole purpose on the show was to have an affair with a 17-year old, as they reminded us of over and over and over again.

Aaron still has the scrapyard (I wish they would get rid of it) but he has been lacking motivation for years, and the show doesn't really even bother now. I guess he will probably end up with another baby soon, if that helps. 

This is what Emmerdale has been for most of the last decade so I just either accept it or take a break. I hope it improves but I know it won't.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Oh, yeah. I forgot about Whingles...

Vanessa's only purpose is to fret over Charity. That's it. 

I hope the new producers whip the show into shape. Today's episode (June 11th) was an absolute bore. Doug is acting totally out of character & it's frustrating to watch. The one bright spot was Eric being underhanded and Diane being caught off-guard. The rest? Umm... *sigh*

• Members

Back then the show wasn't on six times a week though, only twice! And I think that's part of the problem with the show now. There's too many episodes to fill, and too many characters to write for. They should cut back on both episodes and cast and then maybe we could get a tighter and better show.

Unfortunately that would probably mean that we would be left with a show consisting only of Dingles.....  

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

@I Am A Swede I can't remember if I mentioned this to you before but there's an Emmerdale group on Facebook that - well it has a lot of the usual generic bitching and wankery of any group, but also has a few old time cast members who comment, and in the last few days has been putting up some '70s behind the scenes photos and publicity photos I'd never seen before.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/410762128980321/

• Members

Watching Friday's episode, and I wonder if they know that the somewhat distracting camera shots where they pan from one character group to another in reactions to an event is less edgy and more dated. It doesn't really bother me as it reminds me of Knots Landing, one of the best soaps ever. 

I did appreciate the idea of tying all the different groups in through watching the appeal to find Amelia. This is what Emmerdale should be. The only downside is it reinforces just how heavy so many current stories are and how many of them revolve around young girls being in peril (or in the case of baby Margarita, dying in the womb).

Dominic Brunt is proving again what a good actor he is when given the chance.

I enjoy Rebecca in the role of unwittingly irritating people by saying the wrong thing at all times. I'm sure someone will say it's "ableist," but to me this is the type of off-kilter moment that Emmerdale used to have a lot of in its past years and which feels all too rare now. It's a better use of her than anything in 2016-17, anyway.

• Members

Emmerdale is awful right now. Absolutely awful!

I can't buy into Laurel and Bob, because I don't believe for a moment that they love each other.

I hate what theyr're doing to Doug and Diane,  just to get Doug and Brenda to hook up!

And don't even get me started on how the writers have thrown subtlety completely out the window and are sweating bullets in their relentless efforts to rehabilitate and redeem Debbie.... 

I don't know if it works on others but all it does for me is making me resent that vicious little cow more than ever. I hate that bitch with the fire of a thousand suns!  

• Members

I'm behind in my Emmerdale viewing, but I'm on the fence about this Matty development. Natalie J. Robb (Moira) and Jeff Hordley (Cain) will no doubt rise to the occasion (Matty's debut episode proved that), but I'm just not 100% sold on this story. It's the most interesting thing to happen to the village in a long time and Moira's summation of the past two years was wonderful as Cain was the quiet voice of reason. I suppose it'll be great to see how Victoria, Aaron, Pete, and Ross react to Matty...if the show doesn't fumble it. Will Victoria get a real storyline? New producer, Kate Brooks, did an interview about the storyline so maybe - just maybe - Iain MacLeod's material has finally run its heinous course. 

• Members

This day (29th of June 2018) is the 40th anniversary of the wedding between Matt and Dolly. To celebrate, here's that wonderful episode, including all the cherished characters from back then with the added bonus of the great Aunt Jessie!  

• Members

Thank you. I really liked Aunt Jessie. And the best Dolly...

I know that time period is past when you enjoyed it, but someone gave me some This Morning interviews from 2000-2002 - a few have Clive Hornby and Chris Chittell. If you want me to post them for you I will.

• Members

@I Am A Swede

I just gave you the links to the ones that have Eric or Jack - there are others, some I know you wouldn't want (Dingles) some I'm not sure of (Bernice, Diane, Katie and Andy, Soapstars family, Bob, Tara and Angie, Paddy and Emily, Ollie and Marc). If you do want those let me know.