Suggestions For Y&R's Next EP, For Barbara Bloom

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As I said before, Bloom isn't going to hire anyone from Y&R's past. She wants to hire her friends, especially those she worked with at ABC. The only ones with great talent I can think of are Riche and Curtis.

I DO NOT want Carruthers or any of those producers associated with OLTL and AMC in the late 90's.

• Members

Didn't Felicia M. Behr fire Peter Bergman from AMC, which he's still pissed about today? :lol:

She's a good producer, but I hear she and Lorraine are heading some soap opera department at Drexel University. Honestly, though I like Broderick, I don't think she'd fit in at Y&R, though Hogan has worked with many writers who've worked with her.

Both appear to be East Coast based as well, but that could change I guess. Behr is one of those 90's ABC EP's that I think we can trust...

• Members

In all this talk about Barbara Bloom destroying Y&R and Sony destroying Y&R, etc., what I'm NOT seeing is anyone calling out the ones DIRECTLY responsible, and that's the BELL FAMILY themselves. Granted, they probably don't have the power they used to have when Bill, Sr. was Headwriter/EP, but they did allow La Bloom to foist LML on their prize cash-cow and when that didn't work out, Billy, Jr. gave the #1 show on Daytime to his tragically inexperienced, ill-equipped wife to headwrite. Does that sound like a fiscally responsible decision? Whatever their beef may be with Ed Scott or any of the countless writers who know and love the show and AREN'T working there they should GET OVER IT and put the show first, their egos second. I mean, really... Billy's wife is headwriting? Am I dreaming?

• Members

I don't think Nina Tassler and Nancy Tellem will come to their senses and fire Bloom. If they haven't seen what a cancer she's been to CBS Daytime by now, they'll never see it.

Where the hell is Lucy Johnson? Why did they ever fire her? That woman loved the CBS soaps and didn't try to impose some stupid mandate on them to make them something that they weren't.

• Members

Not that she'll ever be hired, but does anyone else think Kathryn Foster is EP material? She devoted a long time to directing the show and was a producer for a few years, so she has producing experience at Y&R. All she's doing is directing at DAYS, and I don't think directing contracts are that long. I know she loved Y&R, and I remember her goodbye letter after Latham fired her, she seemed really sad, but you can tell the show was special to her.

Then again, David Shaughnessy is still close with the Bell's, and I'm sure he'd return if they made him an offer, but no one is doing that. :rolleyes:

• Members

I know I might be in the minority, but I found Linda Gottlieb's OLTL to be a bit too preachy and agenda-pushing. It seemed like she had her pet causes that she wanted to impose on the show. I know a lot of that has to do with Malone overtly preachy writing, which I was never too big a fan of, but I digress.

Gottlieb was a very hands-on EP, which Y&R needs right now though. She was also very good with production, I think her era of OLTL had some of the best lighting, music, and set design in that show's history.

• Members

Not necessarily in the minority. I appreciate the Gottlieb and Malone era for their attempt to bring things into the present, but it becomes preachy when played too long and for a shock value that should have just become a more realistic state of normal.

Agree about her production values, especially the music.

• Members

It's true Gottlieb might have pressed agendas (I know Malone had a huge agenda to make OLTL return to dealing with cutting edge social concerns). I didn't find Malone/Griffith (who deserves a ton fo the credit, the show was never as good when he left in late 95 and it was just Malone) writing preachy though--at least not at its peak. When it started, Gottlieb did suggest those short 13 or so week stories (new characters would come in and leave within that time--I know one was a spousal abuse story) and the early part of the homophobia story, while important (and it got me to watch as an impressionable 12 year old) had moments too but... Either way what made that era of OLTL so great for me was the combo of Malone/Griffith/Gottlieb. Griffith left around the time Gottlieb did I think--is he still at Y&R? I wonder if he'd wanna work with her again.

But yeah she did sdo wonders production wise--one being how she used modern music in ways rare to soaps at the time (I guess her time as producer of movies like Dirty Dancing paid off). Wasn't Y&R known in the 70s to integrate music (characters even singing full songs) more than any other soap?

Archived