Suggestions For Y&R's Next EP, For Barbara Bloom

• Members

Since there's rumblings that Bloom is looking for a new EP for Y&R and was actively courting possible EP's at the Emmy's, it's suggestion time.

From what rain1 told us, she was talking to that vision-less hack, Julie Hanan Carruthers for the position. BIG MISTAKE, BLOOM...

Y&R needs someone with an actual vision and one that we know can do the show justice.

David Shaughnessy is my obvious first choice. However, it seems that Bloom is intent on hiring her old ABC friends and not the people who made Y&R a daytime sensation.

My choices would be:

#1. Wendy Riche, who worked with Bloom at ABC. Why isn't this woman on daytime? You'd think that after her 5 Emmy wins at GH in the 90's, someone would want her. Here's your chance Bloom, make the woman an offer that she can't ignore. She knows how to do melodramatic soap, a Y&R staple. I think she could help bring the show back to its former glory.

#2. Shelley Curtis, who was one of Riche's right-hand people at GH in the 90's. I'd like to see what she would do if she was an EP of a show. I think she understands soaps, but has never been given the chance to show it as an EP. Unlike Julie Hanan Carruthers, I think she's a Riche protege that we can trust.

#3. Someone totally new from outside of the genre. Face it, Y&R needs some innovative refocusing. We have bad younger actors, bad storylines, and bad execution. I'd love to see what a soap fan, from outside of the daytime arena that hasn't worked on daytime before could do with the show.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How about Edward Scott?? :) Choice #3 I would say no.....thats what got Y&R in the mess they are in right now...getting someone new like LML and Co.....They need to hire someone from Y&R's past...who knows the show.

• Members

From my understanding, it's Kay Alden and Scott who HATED one another. There was that very public struggle for creative control of the show when Bell left the day to day duties. When Shaughnessy was promoted and Scott was fired the first time, Bill Bell did side with Kay Alden and released a statement thanking Scott for his years of service to Y&R, but saying that Shaughnessy would do great things. Kay released a statement too, but didn't even mention Scott and talked about how wonderful the Shaughnessy promotion was.

Alden and Scott disagreed a lot over actors and storyline decisons. The Bell's ultimately sided with Alden though. However, Scott did return in 2004 as Supervising Producer...

• Members

Ed Scott.

Promoted up to "Senior Executive Producer".

Maybe with David Shaughnessy as Supervising Producer.

The show needs some story consultants with history. The current apparently-forgotten vasectomy is such a glaring problem (I acknowledge the writers may have a plan to resolve it--Victor laying a trap for Sabrina) that a strong historically grounded consultant is needed. I'd let Kay Alden and Jack Smith play those consultant roles, and release them from B&B (though they could do both, but they're doing NOTHING for B&B right now).

• Members

Yep, and she and Bloom were close during their days at GH/ABC. I notice Wendy thanked Bloom a lot in her Emmy speeches in the 90's. It seems obvious that Bloom wants to hire her friends, which I'm totally against, but if there's anyone I trust, it has to be Wendy Riche.

I hope Bloom sees this thread...

• Members

I could get behind Riche...very much. It would be a combination of "new blood" with experience...but also someone who got relationship-driven soap, and could help the HW keep it in that direction. She got some outstanding moments out of her team...which is exactly what Y&R needs right now...OUTSTANDING moments.

It means though that she needs a Claire Labine style "big" writer. I'm not arguing for Labine, but someone who can script those huge moments that tear your heart out. Someone who REALLY gets the operatic part of soap opera.

• Administrator

My first pick would be someone from the old Y&R: Ed Scott, David Shaughnessy. What about Tom Langan since he was Producer at Y&R for years. Sure I didn't like his stuff at DAYS, but that was mostly for his HW "abilities."

I definitely love the Wendy Riche and Shelley Curtis picks. But my wish is for them to return to GH.

• Members

No Langan, please. LOL! If his vision is anything like his HW stint at DAYS, he needs not work in daytime EVER AGAIN.

Wendy Riche and Shelley Curtis are never going back to GH, and I can't see them putting up with Frons' BS. Y&R is very much in the shape GH was in when Riche inherited it in 1992. There was a series of bad storylines, bad actors, and atrotious writing. If any outsider can whip Y&R into shape, it would be Riche, IMO and she's a friend of Barbara Bloom's.

Archived