AMC: Cameron Mathison TVGO Interview

• Members

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TV...meron/800040980

TVGuide.com: Are you trying to pull a Joey Fatone and be everywhere at once?

Cameron Mathison: I'm trying! Joey, I think, is "pulling a Cameron Mathison." I had it going before he did.

TVGuide.com: My wife and I watch What Not to Wear most every night, and TLC is promo-ing Your Place Or Mine? like crazy!

Mathison: They're publicizing the heck out of it, yeah. I think it's a good show. First of all, the game itself is a fun trivia game, because it's geared toward family and there's a dynamic of risk and reward. And then it has this aspect of reality TV to it in the sense that we cut to the field [to show homes getting made over in real time].

TVGuide.com: The gist is that two families answer questions, and a series of correct answers might get you a new entertainment center or a whole living room, put into your house as you watch?

Mathison: A series of right answers will get you a whole room – an entertainment center, couch, Surround Sound and speakers, a table, chair... the whole deal. We go in, rip out your old stuff, and the crew then sets up this new room for you. And you see that happen on a giant screen. But then, if the other family wins a later round, they can either choose the room they were playing for or they can steal the previously won room from the other family.

TVGuide.com: In which case, you're left to watch your brand-new living room get relocated to the Smiths' house.

Mathison: Exactly.

TVGuide.com: Is the mood good-spirited, or do things get tense?

Mathison: There was this one horrible incident where one of the fathers did not listen to his wife, and she had the right answer. They had just won this awesome exercise room filled with better equipment than you get in a gym. They had this momentum going but on the next question, the wife said one answer and the husband turns to me and says something else. They lost their points, and the other family went on to steal the exercise room — which is all that the first wife wanted. That was really tense! [Laughs]

TVGuide.com: What do you find is the hardest thing about hosting a proper game show?

Mathison: With this particular show, there is so much going on. I've got [a producer talking] in my ear[piece], I've got points floating around, I'm cutting to the field, cutting back from the field, I've got to plug the stuff [that is won].... It is tons of information and last-minute changes. But I really enjoy that challenge.

TVGuide.com: Of course we have seen how Dancing with the Stars can thrust celebrities into extracurricular gigs like this. Was that on your mind when you signed up for that reality show?

Mathison: Truthfully, it's a reason a lot of us do it. There are aspects of the show itself that I liked, being competitive and allm but the benefit of getting your face out there a bit more and diversifying your audience doesn't hurt. I'm juggling four jobs [including Style's Instant Beauty Pageant] right now, and I'm a lucky guy to say that. And I'm hosting the Daytime Emmys.

TVGuide.com: Turning to All My Children, what's your read on the new headwriter situation?

Mathison: I think All My Children is in a really good place right now. I think it was really tough timing for Jim [Harmon Brown] and Barbara [Esensten] to come in when they did. Now, momentum is changing. Chuck [Pratt Jr.] has a lot of amazing things behind him that he has worked on.

TVGuide.com: He was one of the original people involved with Desperate Housewives.

Mathison: And he's been involved with Ugly Betty, and he was at General Hospital during one of its peaks.... We're excited.

TVGuide.com: What are the odds of Greenlee and Ryan reconnecting now that she has dumped Aidan?

Mathison: I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. We all want it to happen in the right way — we want to be patient and have things make sense. Ryan has been in a really rotten state, he hasn't been the best guy to Annie. Now Annie is going through some lousy things. I think it's clear that he and Greenlee have a great connection, and he is starting to remember that. Aidan and Greenlee were doing well with the fans, so we want to make sure we do what people dig and what makes sense.

TVGuide.com: For the memory-loss story, would you have preferred to do a total personality change, like Days of Our Lives did with John Black?

Mathison: My only comment with the amnesia storyline is.... I feel like.... I feel like it wasn't thorough enough, in the sense that it was used as a vehicle to get to an end result, to create this disarray between the six of us, Aidan, Greenlee, Zack, Kendall, me and Annie. They jumped into that so quickly.... It could have been a lot more in-depth and real. Ryan turned into a complete jerk, and I brought a lot more sensitivity to the character than was written. A lot more. And he was still very insensitive. I don't know about a whole personality change, though. I don't know how amnesia can change someone like that unless it takes them back to a previous state, like when he was a cocky con artist. I'm not sure I would have liked that.

TVGuide.com: Jesse returning from the dead has more than opened the door for Gillian to somehow stage her own comeback, don't you say?

Mathison: Yeah, just when you thought it was impossible.... It could be! There could be a whole storyline getting Gillian back on the canvas. Who knows?

TVGuide.com: This is what I always argue: It doesn't even have to be Gillian. Have Esta TerBlanche work with a voice coach. She then comes back, nails an American accent and plays a gal named Julie Ann who simply and eerily reminds Ryan of Gillian.

Mathison: I love it. I love it! Put it out there!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I loved Gillian too. Her murder at the hands of that beyotch Ilene happened among the first couple of weeks of me watching the show, which was actually around this time of year back in 2001.

[!@#$%^&*], we saw Jesse practically guide Gillian through heaven, but I guess that was fake, so is Gillian really in heaven now?

Archived