OPINION: Overrated/Underrated Actors or Characters

• Members

This is just a personal opinion thing, but to go hand in hand with the thread about actors that are over the top, we can talk about actors who are overrated, and that doesn't necessarily mean just who a lot of people seem to like, it can mean characters or actors who are almost universally disliked yet seem to be put on the front burner consistently (Antonio Vega *cough* Sonny Corinthos)

On the other side, who's severely underrated and doesn't get the recognition they deserve? Whether in Emmys, storylines/airtime/fan response, etc? (Most vets fit this category unfortunately)

AMC

Overrated: Susan Lucci, Cameron Matheson,

Underrated: Debbi Morgan and her character Angie, Opal (and Jill too), David Canary, Cady (to AMC execs she's SUPER underrated some people seem to think she's expendable)

ATWT

Over: Emily, Paul, Meg, KATIE (and Teri)

Under: Emma, Lisa, Kim, Bob, Henry (and Trent)

B&B

Over - The Triangle of death Ridge/Taylor/Brooke with an extra shout out to RONN MOSS as being severely overrated, Hunter Tylo being mildly overrated and KKL being both - overexposed as the trampy whore brooke yet rarely given enough chance to prove her serious acting skills (such as Storm's death etc) she has the most moments of brilliance out of the three, she just needs the chance, John McCook/Eric

Under - Lesli Kay, Winsor, and their respective chars

Days

Over - Drake Hogestyn

Under - Joe Mascolo, {insert the name of almost any person who's been on the show over 10 years... :P)

General Hospital

OVER - Maurice Benard!!!!!, the mob scene

UNDER - Jackie Zeman, Jane Elliot, the Quartermaine Family, Stuart Damon, The Hospital

Guiding Light

OVER - KZ... as much as I love her she's been made to carry the show and they need a different focus, ditto Beth Ehlers this isnt because these actresses aren't good, or capable of brilliance with great material (IMO anyway) but because of laziness on behalf of the writers. Nicole Forester (Not due to her talent but more specifically a lack thereof, but to the fact that they place her with the big dogs like Reva and Josh when she should be the set caterer)

UNDER - Justin Deas, Tina Sloan, Jordan Clarke

One Life to Live - this show is sort of an exception because it's in a really good place, so some of this stuff may be changing)

OVER - KDLR, Michael Easton (though I'm enjoying him more, ditto Melissa Archer, that's changing quickly though), Todd (what a creep! Love TSJ though),

UNDER - Kassie (Give this woman an Emmy!), ROXY (and Ilene Kristen - class act), Cat Hickland (or, she was for awhile)

The Young and the Restless

OVER - Eric Braeden, Michelle Stafford, Joshua Morrow, TAMMIN SURSOK (ESPECIALLY), Don Diamont, AMELIA HEINLE, Christel Khalil, Gloria

UNDER - Jess Walton, Jack Abbott (He's on enough and everything but Jack's been used for years as the loser to Victor's winner) Davetta Sherwood, Adrianne Leon, Eileen/Ashley, John Abbott/Jerry Douglas

There's my list, I tried to think of every soap but I probably left some people out or people will disagree with me so let's hear what you think :)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My picks..

ALL MY CHILDREN

Overrated: Cameron Mathison, Jacob Young

Underrated: Melissa Claire Egan, Cady McClain, Jill Larson, Tonya Pinkins

DAYS OF OUR LIVES

Overrated: I actually don't know.. maybe Drake Hogestyn, but not so much..

Underrated: Renee Jones, Suzanne Rogers, Leann Hunley

GENERAL HOSPITAL

Overrated: God.. where do I start.. Bradford Anderson, Maurice Bernard, Julie Marie Berman, Steve Burton, Josh Duhon

Underrated: Tyler Christopher, Nancy Lee Grahn, Kimberly McCullough, Greg Vaughan, Leslie Charleson

• Members

Y&R

Underrated: Jill Foster Abbott. She is the only original character and she has a very rich history. She should be the heart and soul of the show. I'd love for her son Billy and her niece Jennifer to show up. Instead of Gloria, she should have been the Abbott widow fighting with John's children.

Overrated: Lily Winters. It's Cricket all over again.

B&B

Underrated: Thorne and Felicia Forrester. I'd love to see them in indivual stories. Only first... please grow up.

Overrated: -

DAYS

Underrated: Steve Johnson.

Overrated: Chelsea Brady, Stephanie Johnson and Max Brady. This show deserves a better new generation.

• Members

Elsa - so agree about the Jill vs. Gloria thing, they should have internalized it and gave Jess all this great story. I don't mind JC at all I think she's talented, but why pay another actress when Jill and John already have the history. Also I can see Jack with divided loyalties because he was with Jill too - and a John and Jill relationship with Jack sorta standing by and not knowing how to feel, cause those 3 were a big tri on the show. I could see Ashley wanting to destroy Jill and Jack feeling conflicted because, the two of them also have a history.

Much more compelling than a new face who marries John, only to bring about his incerceration when her loco husband comes back to town, then, due to a cruel and clueless (a terrible combination) EP/HW, John Abbott dies on his birthday, without ever having found out Ashley was not his daughter, or about Gloria's misdeeds. John Abbott went to the grave not knowing a lot of really important stuff... I'd love to see him haunt Gloria for real (à la the whole "Jack's conscience" thing), and then apologize to Jack when he finds out his wife was a bag of ho.

• Members

AMC

Overrated: Most of the front burner actors

Underrated: Chrishell Strause, Billy Miller

OLTL

Overrated: Michael Easton, Kamar de los Reyes, Melissa Archer

Underrated: Chris Stack, Kathy Brier, Jason Tam\

GH

Overrated: Anyone with the name Corinthos, Zacchara, Morgan or McCall

Underrated: Anyone whose title would end in M.D. or R.N., last name Quartermaine, Webber or Scorpio

• Members

GH

Overrated: Maurice Bernard, Tony Geary, Julie Berman, Kirsten Storms

Underrated: Tyler Christopher, Rebecca Herbst, Carolyn Hennesy

YR

Overrated: Judith Chapman, Michelle Stafford, Christian LeBlanc

Underrated: Sharon Case, Melody Thomas Scott, Joshua Morrow, Chris Engen

OLTL:

Overrated: Kamar how ever you spell his name, Bree Williamson

Underrated: Forbes March, Catherine Hickland, Robert S Woods

• Members

AMC

Overrated: Cameron Mathison (Ryan), and I will say Rebecca Budig over the real Greenlee promos (RB is great and deserves the rating she gets but not to be made out as The Second Coming)

Underrated: Tonya Pinkins (Livia), Ray MacDonnell (Joe), Jill Larson (Opal), James Mitchell (Palmer)

GH

Overrated: Maurice Benard (Sonny), Steve Burton (Jason), Tony Geary (Luke), Kelly Monaco (Sam), Vanessa Marcil (ex Brenda)

Underrated: Jackie Zeman (Bobbie), Leslie Charlesen (Monica), Rick Hearst (Ric)

• Members

I wouldn't consider an actor or actress overrated simply because they get a lot of airtime. Certain characters in certain age ranges and of certain images are going to get airtime regardless, even if TPTB think they suck at acting, IMO.

But anyway, I've never been a fan of DAYS's "Big 4": Deidre Hall, Drake Hogestyn, Kristian Alfonso, and Peter Reckell. I wasn't around in the 1980s or 1990s, so I will in no way judge their work from then at all (though I really liked Dee in a 1982 episode I saw), but most of the stuff I've seen of them since around 2004 is just ridiculous. During the Melaswen stuff, their acting was pretty much on par with the writing. I felt like I was watching an incredibly odd Sid and Marty Krofft production from circa 1975. Which is funny because Dee Hall was definitely Electra Woman back in the day.

• Members

I guess the idea is that someone in a position of power overrates them. Favourites of Brian Frons come to mind like Michael Easton, Maurice Benard, Cameron Matheson, and Steve Burton - aaaaaand the real Greeenlee, Rebecca Budig. I kind of feel sorry for them because there is no way they can live up to the hype.

Love the Electra Woman and Dyna Girl reference :D

Archived