Days: Interview with James Reynolds

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know but at least Dena has been affiliated with Days for over 20 years. The show is good right now but if it gets dull later on it's still better to have a show thats mediocre being written by some one who knows it rather than by some one who doesn't like Hogan.

• Members

Personally I'm not discounting a move to ABC like everyone is. He specifically mentioned ABC, not just a general statement like "soapNet or another network".

Yes ABC picking up Days is not pragmatic. So? Since when is ABC Daytime practical?

Everyone knows Frons wants Days, and ABC Daytime is effectively several hours of "What Brian Frons Wants". And the man has more power than ever at Disney-ABC.

He made a statement a while back that was interpreted as him saying Days would not be coming to ABC. But that's not what he said. He said that he would not be able to pick up Days (inference: he wants to) if AMC, OLTL and GH were all performing well (inference: if one isn't, hello Days!).

• Members

And the thing is, currently, none of the ABC Daytime soaps are performing that well! GH has lost over a million viewers in the last year and OLTL and AMC are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

If I had control of ABC Daytime, the mind boggles at what I'd do, but anways if it was up to me this is how I'd have the shows go:

AMC: Half hour

OLTL: Half hour

GH: Hour

DAYS: Hour

I really believe that AMC and OLTL would do better if they were 30 minute shows. Naturally the casts would have to be trimmed but I think those shows have casts that are beyond bloated. I really think making those shows 30 minutes could result in tighter shows that deliver better stories and hold the audience's interest better. I don't think merging the shows would work.

GH of course is the ABC golden child and needs to stay an hour even thought it too could benefit from a 30 min format, but it just wouldn't make financial sense. GH would also deliver the numbers necessary to keep DAYS afloat. It would also be interesting to see what would happen with both shows on the same network since they're *so* similar.

• Members

bravo to james reynolds. someone should really revive generations or pattern a new soap after it. daytime really lacks racial diversity. where are more black and latin characters? where are the asians and middle eastern characters? this is why viewership is reducing and reducing. there's no racial diversity in daytime. primetime is pretty diverse racially, but not diverse enough. and many shows cast minorities in degrading ways (ex. samantha who's first episode was completely racist). but daytime is even worse in racial diversity.

Archived