CBS: Mary Alice Dwyer-Dobbin

• Members

She wreaked havoc when she was the executive in charge, yet I wonder if she would let P&G shows slip this low.

Remember, she

1. cancelled Another World even though she promised no show would get cancelled under her watch
  2. she brought on ABC actors to P&G soaps
  3. she hired Lorraine Broderick, whose tenure I liked, but which many people found too dark and hideous
  4. massively fired the veterans from Guiding Light + Zaslow affair
  5. and so on
Be free to add more.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Several backstage veterans like longtime producer Robert D. Kochman and director Bruce S. Barry were gone. And Bruce Barry was a great director!

Other Guiding Light controversies:

• Clone Reva
  • Painting Jumping Reva
  • Pychic Reva
  • Her infatuation with Bradley Cole
  • The Bradley Cole Fans and graciously accepting their fruit baskets

I'm sure Khan's gotta a couple to list too, so I'll leave that up to him and other contributors who deliciously loathe the woman as much as I do.

• Members

Another shenanigan under MADD at GL:

In Joan Collins' contract (which was a $weet deal) Joan was entitled to have a P&G company car pick her up and drop her off at home, every day, whether she was working at GL that day or not. MAD went ballistic at Paul Rauch who had drafted JC's deal. Rauch then had to break the news to JC that she would have to pay for the car if she wanted, whether she was working at GL that day or not. JC was not amused. She wrote a scathing little article for the British magazine 'The Spectator' in which she referred to MADD as "the fat female production executive". JC quit GL the next month.

• Members

I'm sorry, MADD might have been foolish in some respects, but she was a hell of a lot better than the fools currently running the P&G soaps. At least there was something somewhat watchable about GL and ATWT during her tenure as Executive In Charge of Production, I can't say the same anymore.

Though, I will NEVER FORGIVE MADD over the whole Michael Zaslow situation.....

• Members

Comparing the state of the P&G shows during her reign to now, it was a hell of a lot better. Now Goutman and Wheeler rule over their respective shows without any balance or someone to step in and try to correct them.

MADD made her mistakes, I'm not doubting that, but the P&G soaps have gotten significantly worse after she left.

The last person to understand the P&G soaps was Edward Trach, both GL and ATWT had renaissance periods under him.....

• Members

MADD was bad but I think she gets too much blame. A lot of it was the EPs.

Really? I thought NBC cancelled it. -_-

Ellen Wheeler fired Kochman. She called him in, told him to pack up his things. When he wrote a memo to the cast & crew announcing his firing, Wheeler had those memos removed from each and every mailbox.

(I know a lot of people like Wheeler because she was such a good actress, but the woman is a monster as a producer, I firmly believe).

Bruce S. Barry was fed up with Wheeler and quit.

Archived