DAYS: Monday, Sept. 10

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not into today's show too much, but I think it's because it was full of characters I don't care about--Stephanie, Max, Shawn, Philip and Belle. And that's a big problem because this is the younger cast and the so-called future of the show, and I'm bored with all of them. I really only paid attention today while Steve, Kayla, Roman, Bo and EJ were on. I TRIED to watch the other stories, but Max and Stephanie are too icky and Philip and Belle are too repetitive and Shawn is too stupid. Seriously, the writers have got to come up with better stories for the younger cast.

I love that EJ is not accepting Stefano's "death".

• Members

I did appreciate how they tied Jett's shooting into Bo and Shawn's talk about the dangers of being a cop. Nice to cross the stories like that... keeps things less segregated.

As for Max and Stephanie... well, we've all beaten this dead horse about how icky it is with the incest angle. their scenes were actually pretty decent if you're able to flip that uncle-switch off in your brain. But I totally understand that many viewers can't.

• Members

Not that much to say about today's epi because I thought it was pretty boring.

The highlight for me was the EJ-Steve/EJ-Roman confrontation, but even that was just kinda ehhhh compared to the intensity of last week. I found it curious they gave that line to EJ about him knowing the Steve that howls at the moon. "I made him." Um, isn't that kind of a confession, EJ? But I guess the Salem P.D. is too busy trying to drum up new charges on EJ for being a parking ticket scofflaw to notice. In any event though, I'm glad that EJ is not overreacting to this development and is totally on to the Bradys. In this whole EJ redemption stuff I feel like they've taken away some of his arrogance and omniscience and honestly I liked those things about him even when he was mega-evil.

Max and Stephanie... ummmm... you know I didn't think I had any issue with them before as my main objections to the pairing last fall was that I thought Darin Brooks and Shayna Rose had like negative chemistry, but I just.can't.get.into.them. I'm sad to see Rawlings go and when the commercial break happened and Max and Stephanie were out of the plane I found myself wishing we could have stuck with Rawlings and his angels instead to see what they were going to do next.

Phillip and Belle... I just don't care. I like the chemistry between JKJ and MM better than BB and MM, but I'm just so bored and this storyline is hardly ever on it seems like so it just can't gain any momentum. I wish they could give Phillip more to do than pine for Belle or chase after a kid. I mean who the hell is running Titan these days anyway?

I guess it's good that Shawn is getting a real job with the police and if they are foreshadowing that Shawn will get shot in the line of duty with all the worry Hope and Bo have about that prospect then I could dig this storyline. But did Bo ever mention the fact that Shawn used to work for the DiMeras? Wasn't that a big sticking point for Bo when Patrick wanted to be a cop? Which reminds me... whatever happened to that sworn statement Bo wanted from Shawn to try to bring down EJ? Guess that one just went to the great big pile of dropped plot points in the sky along with so many other things under Hogan.

Ohhhh I forgot to mention before... the Steve and Kayla scenes were pretty cute and I like that Kayla insisted they not keep the truth from their daughter.

• Members

Well, last we saw the statement, it was in Shawn's back pocket on tinda lau. And since he was in a typhoon or whatever that night, and the boat was destroyed, I'm assuming it was lost in the water. But you're right - there should at least be a throwaway line about it at some point.

I did like that Steve/Kayla moment as well, IMA.

It was a simple show... definitely a breather. But according to the NBC promo (no spoilers included here), everything hits the fan in the DiMera story by the end of the week. So I take today and tomorrow as B-story shows, and Wed-Fri the big guns come out.

• Members

You must have forgotten...due to a cutback in brain cells, the Salem PD can only run one investigation at a time and right now the focus is Andre. If they were to investigate Andre AND EJ....well, the brain power just isn't here. They couldn't even summon enough brains to investigate the disappearance of the police commander's wife.

I hate to keep beating up on Shawn, but I have to say how beyond idiotic it was for him to approach his father in the middle of a police investigation to discuss his career plans. No wonder the Salem PD is so inept! They are running ONE investigation and can't even do that properly because of people like Lucas and Shawn who keep popping up in the middle of things.

• Members

I really need to see Philip have a real moment of consciousness where he realizes how horrifying his actions were in the women's shelter. Because I really like his character but cannot stand his angry caveman actions. And Belle acting so b!tchy to the shelter director. Give me a break. They totally lied to her and then Philip goes ballistic, slams his arms against the door, traps Lauren, scaring half of these already frightened women. The shallowness I feel from this younger set is just reinforced. It is All.About.Them. - no thought for what they put the women at the shelter through :rolleyes:

Too bad that Philip and Belle have more chemistry and spark more in their scenes together than Shawn and Belle. Because Philip totally needs to find a different woman who is not so wishy washy and will actually be interested in him and only him.

I am just watching Max and Stephanie with a wait and see attitude. With a very surface watching, I guess I would say that they have more chemistry than Steph & Jeremy. And at least it is good to see Darin Brooks in a bit more of a storyline. I am not sure if he is strong enough for a leading man role so I am curious how he does. I think there is some interesting story to tell about Max's possible feelings of disconnect from the Brady family - there have been hints over the last year about this. I guess a potential pairing with Stephanie would bring this out.

The Steve and Kayla scenes were good - they can always multi-task their short scenes with the emotions still coming through. With the background of some flirting and hints of some sexual tension, we get Kayla expressing her fears about how vulnerable Steve has made himself, Steve having some happiness and satisfaction that he stuck it to Stefano, info that the killing was on video, finding out that the baby is with Bo & Hope during this time, and discussion about what can be said to Stephanie.

I have noticed that we continue to get these subtle hints about the impact of Steve's missing years. For example, when Kayla kind of says in frustration that Stephanie has already been through so much, Steve kind of has this reaction and backs down and Kayla realizing how her words impacted Steve. Although Kayla and no one else blames Steve, it does not mean that there are not serious ramifications for his missing time. Who knows how it will play out. I am just glad that they are not going to sweep it all under the rug (which was my fear when he came back "deprogrammed"). Oh, and Steve was so sexy when he was telling Kayla how he was such a dangerous man. :P

Shawn came across completely immature about the police academy. Seriously, what mixed up motivations to make such a serious decision. And when Bo legitimately questions him about it, Shawn gets all defensive. Not liking him very much lately. I think that is why I want to give Max more of a chance. He doesn't take himself too seriously and doesn't seem so haughty - I want to root more for him as compared to others in the younger set (Nick excluded, of course).

• Members

These B-story shows are killing DAYS. The writers have to improve the secondary storylines! The eternal Belle/Shawn/Philip triangle is boring, Philip is eventually going to run out of babies to search for, and Max and Stephanie are not a popular pairing. I don't think DAYS is going to see much of an increase in ratings until they get better B-stories because a lot of viewers just don't want to watch this stuff.

• Members

Oh, I agree. When we're in high Brady/DiMera form, the show seems to be over in about ten minutes. But the second there's any other story on, it does seem to lull. I think we just need to have some movement, and it'll be in good shape. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's "killing" Days. the groundwork is there, it just needs to be amped up a bit. I don't necessarily need the wild goose chase with tyler, nor do I need emotional fallout from touch-the-sky. Let's get to the next chapter in the story already, on both counts. And if something huge happens in both stories, then really, the show will be in good shape. Not great shape... but pretty sturdy shape.

• Members

I agree! Philip is back to the arrogant, angry, entitled Kiriakis brat. He has a right to be frustrated and upset about his missing son, but you'd think the events of last winter/spring would have taught him that rage is not the best way to deal with this type of situation. To act like that in a shelter for battered women, and to have Belle supporting him in his behavior and being so horrible to the shelter director, is reprehensible. This show needs to develop a social conscience--or else completely stay away from storylines like rape, mental disorders, abuse, etc. Think of the trauma he caused for the women that witnessed his attack on Lauren! He should have been arrested.

• Members

What I meant by "killing" DAYS is the ratings issue (and, okay, I may have been a tiny bit overdramatic!). I've been trying to get my friends who are lapsed DAYS viewers to start watching again, but it seems that every time one of them tunes in it's a B-story day and they are bored, tune back out and miss the great episodes (like last week). That type of viewer is who DAYS needs to win back, with good, consistent storylines on each day of the week. I've watched DAYS for most of my life and will be sitting in front of the TV until the last grain of sand drains out of that hourglass, but most viewers are not that loyal. Without compelling storytelling across the board, they won't watch. I've been waiting for months for the secondary stories to pick up steam, but it seems that we just get one bad story ending and another bad story beginning. All Philip has done since he's come back is chase down babies and cause trouble for Belle and Shawn. All Belle and Shawn do is argue and lie to each other. It's become a joke.

Archived