MTV's Video Music Awards

Ryan

• Members

I just got done watching The View, and Whoopi made a valid thought. She wondered if Britney didn't want to perform in the first place. As I go back and watch the video, she doesn't look interested at all in her performance. She doesn't even look like she's trying. At all. This was supposed to be her comeback performance. She should have put it all out there and instead, we get horirble dancing, horrible lip-syncing and beyond horrible attire. What the hell was Britney thinking? No one would go out there like that if they were truly trying to make a successful music comeback.

And that got me to thinking of a different plan Britney may have been trying to accomplish. Would it be "out there" to suggest that she screwed up her performance on purpose? She didn't look like she gave a damn during the performance, so that backs it up. It looks like she was just placed out there, and she did a few dance routines and lipped the words of the song. And she did that badly. This is the same girl that danced to Oops, I did It Again a few years ago in a stellar performance (check back a few pages for the video). We know what Britney is capable of.

So back to my original thought. I'm convinced that Britney staged the most horrible performance of the year on purpose. Had she done a great job, people would have been happy for her and excited, but then they would have moved onto the next performer. Instead, Britney's horrible job has been displayed everywhere. It's on the Internet. It's on the morning talk shows. I'm positive it will be all over the late night talk shows. It's on the radio. It's everywhere. She got people talking, and that may have been her intention all along. I mean, we're talking about the same girl that shaved her head. Why? For attention. She wants people to continue talking about her, and by doing what she did last night, she came out successful, in her own way.

Just my opinion.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Shawn you know I love Britney to death. I hope my comment about her hitting the gym wasn't insensitive. I didn't mean it to come across that way. I don't think she's fat, but to wear the outfit she was wearing, she should have been a bit more in shape. I give the girl credit for working her ass off leading up to the performance.

I feel bad b/c I was expecting such a great performance from her (b/c that's what I'm used to) and to see what went down last night was just a disappointment. I don't know what happened to make her be so off her game. If the rumors of her being disturbed by Sarah's upcoming comments are true, then yeah, I can totally see how it would affect her. No one should have to go through that, but on the flip side, she makes it possible for people to talk about her.

I know that based on what I read and saw, Britney was out partying hard the nights leading up to her performance. If I were her, and this was to be my first performance in years, I would have buckled down to make sure not a single !@#$%^&*]-up happened.

She looked lost, she looked scared, she looked nervous. It was her first big performance in years and I'm sure she was nervous as hell.

I'm hoping her lackluster performance will scare her awake and make her realize that she really needs to straighten up and get back focused on her career. I've heard stories about the teen stars from the 80's, and it sucks watching it unfold kind of right now with Britney. I wish her nothing but the best because she deserves that. Fans have supported her for years and quite frankly, we deserve better than the performance she gave last night.

Her performance (or lack thereof) doesn't take away from the fact that the song is hot. I just hope what happened on MTV doesn't have a negative impact on the amount of airplay she's receiving from the stations.

One thing that annoys me is the people interviewed about her song were like "I don't like it. There's no substance." I'm like wtf people. When you think of Britney Spears, you don't think of thought inspiring lyrics or lyrics that make you wanna go cry. I think that lyrically she's gotten better from singing about freakin "soda pop" and asking people to e-mail her heart. It takes time for people to find their niche. She's experimenting with a new sound, she's working with new producers and writers, and I think her album will be a good effort. It may not sell millions, but it'll be the first step of a very LONG road to making her way back.

• Members

She did look fat though. Her stomach was disgusting and that outfit wasn't helping matters...

God if I were a Public Relations Agent I wouldn't go anywhere near Brittney Spears. The girl just needs to give it up and take care of herself and kids before she embrasses herself anymore (if thats even humanly possible)

AOL has pics and the actually performance as well in pretty good quality. Plus a local radio station where I am has a lot of footage from the show showing the various reactions of the stars/celebs in the audience. Their looks of puzzlement are hilarious...

And that song...oh God help us if thats the best one on her album.

• Members

There is no excuse in the world that could change the fact that it was an awful performance. She's is in show biz and has to go with the flow. An please stop saying that she is fat people, she has two kids and she didn't look fat to me. An people wonder why girls have self-image problems. I felt bad for her and think it was too soon for her to be making a comeback with her sh!t not being together.

• Members

All she has done is rely on producers to pep up her tepid lyrics with more club beats. I don't hear anything wildly different. She's been in the business for years, and it's not unreasonable to think that her music would have deepened a lot more than it has. Maybe she'd prefer to keep this up into her 40s like Janet Jackson, who has had to realize that there are people in the world who won't view her dancing as a substitute for musical quality. Britney has done ballads before, so why does she keep inflicting this moaning and grunting through every song on the public?

• Members

Because when she does ballads, all she does is get criticized for not being able to sing like Christina. The thing is, Britney knows that her music can get people up to dance, so that's what her music will predominantly be. It takes a lot of courage to experiment and try new things. Look what happened to Kelly Clarkson. She went against the grain and had a very, very good album IMO with "My December," yet radio didn't accept it and some critics bashed her.

If Britney releases an album that alienates her fanbase, she'll have none. I wouldn't mind the girl going a little more rock with her music. It would add something new to her music and I think she definitely has a voice that when used correctly, can fit with a pop/rock genre.

• Members

I like Britney's new song. I could definitely see it being a hit (maybe not so much anymore after last night). I think it's a catchy and fun dance song. Is it going to win a Grammy? Probably not. That's fine.

I think a lot of people that are not satisfied with the song wanted something more or different. I know I expcected something very differnt than Gimme More. I just thought after all that Britney's gone through, we would get something more serious and mature, just to show everyone that she is trying to get her life back together.

I don't believe that anymore.

• Members

With some artists, they write about their problems in their songs. I don't know why it's coming as much of a surprise to people that her first song wasn't something about her recent problems. When news broke she was making a new CD earlier this year, the producers said they were going to try and void the heavy drama, they wanted to make a party record, not remind people of the problems Brit's been going through.

I think one reason we won't see that is because she hasn't totally addressed everything that has been going on in her life. That's for her to do on her own, not because we want her to or think she should.

• Members

Britney considering how much crap she's been through the last two-three years and her personal life in ruins.... I think Gimme More is a pretty good song for pop/dance standards. Its catchy. Its not deep but it makes you want to get up and dance.

Now though anytime anyone hears that song all they will think of is Brit's performence last night and get turned off. Brit obviously should have held off on the music thing until she got her personal life straightened out. I fear for her, I really do and its sad :( Because she at one time was a very respectable entertainer/dancer.

• Members

Don't even mention the radio stations...they're MURDERING her. I listen to a huge variety of music and I must say that every single station, whether its the Hip Hop/Rap stations to Country to Pop to Oldies...ALL of them are slaughtering her.

One of them even said that if you missed her performance you didn't miss anything.

Just a total mess.

Archived