AMC: Thorsten Kaye interview question

• Members

Ok, this is from the SOD website, and an interview question/answer from Thorsten Kaye regarding underused vets:

On AMC's Underuse Of Its Vets: "It's a funny thing. If you've got those guys on the canvas, you know, how come they're not working all the time? How come David Canary [Adam/Stuart] doesn't get [great] stuff all the time? We know he can do it! There's a lot of people here that can. So why not? It seems that in this medium, they always want to try to find something new because they don't want to bore the audience. But I don't think the audience would be bored by it. [On GENERAL HOSPITAL, Maurice Benard (Sonny)] is an interesting actor. He delivers and they write for him. They write to people who can act. I think in soaps, you have to look first at who your players are and then decide what story to tell."

Ok, now could you tell me WTF that means? I sort of got he was wishy-washy on the entire thing. First, he says we've got them here, why not use them? But then he goes on to describe Maurice Benard as a great actor (*pukes*) - and says that writers should write for actors who can actually act. So is he saying the vets can't act that well or carry their own storylines anymore bc they are old - or don't have anymore stories to tell?

I'm a little worried about his POV on this topic. :unsure:

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I read this in SOD a few weeks ago. Basically, he's saying that there are plenty of vets on AMC who should be getting more material. The comment about bringing in something new so the audience won't be bored, he's saying that they think the show needs new characters so people won't get bored seeing the vets. Hence him saying "they won't be bored by it."

Secondly, he said Maurice was an "interesting" actor. To me, that can mean a lot of things, lol. He is right about soaps deciding who their players are, they need to decide who they are and right for them. It's blatantly obvious that all of the new characters aren't working out on soaps, and instead of deciding to "play" them, they need to "play" the people they already have.

• Members

I'm not confused. He's saying, AMC has talented vets, so why don't they get stories more often? He's saying that in daytime, TPTB are always trying to do something "new" because they don't want to bore the audience, but he believes the audience wouldn't get bored by watching the talent already on the canvas. He used Maurice Benard as an example because he's been on GH 10+ years, and they continually give him things to do because the audience is still interested.

I didn't see anything in there about not writing for vets because they can't act or not using vets because they're old.

• Members

I"M sorry I'm not interested in seeing Maurice Bernard on GH anymore. If was the Executive Producer Maurice would be the first to go. I"ve quit watching GH because it the "General Mob " not General Hospital. I want stories that focus on the real talent on GH Nancy Lee Grahn, Jackie Zehman, Leslie Charleston, Stuart Damon, Anthony Geary just to name a few.

Get rid of the less then impressive folks, Maurice Bernard, Laura Wright, Natalia Livingston, Ingo Radomcher (sp), Ric Hearst , Kelly Monaco and Kristen Storms. See ya suckers.

Then I would get Genie Francis back.

Archived