So You Think You Can Dance: Discussion Thread

R!ck

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Rick, I'm so happy you started this thread. I love this show even better than DWTS. Did anyone watch the first auditions on Thursday? There were three that really stood out for me and I'm hoping they make the top 20. There was Jamal who audition doing hiphop (I think) but the judges weren't going for that so when he said he did swing, too, they gave him time to find a partner and practice and return and BLOW THEM AWAY. He was fantastic. Then there was the ballroom dancer from Russia who is the best I've seen on this show, love her. Then there was a lovely young woman who was injured in a blast in Isreal who battled back to dancing....very good.

• Members

The top 20 dancers look like an interesting lot. Next week will give us a good look at them all as some of these we really haven't seen perform at all. Once they have a partner and draw the dance they will perform and then display what they can do is where the real competition begins. I can hardly wait. Last year was so good, entertaining and enthusiastic. The contestants really have the energy and showmanship. I enjoy the judges, too (as a rule LOL).

Two hours next week on Wednesday (with Traveler on right afterward) and one hour results show on Thursday.

• Members

http://community.tvguide.com/blog/TV-Show-...Dance/700004070

So You Think You Can Dance

by Sabrina Rojas Weiss June 7, 2007: "I'm Sad to Say... You Made It"

After last night's fast-paced, dance-heavy installment, I thought maybe tonight we'd get more of the same and actually see some of the final solos. But instead we got a lot of slow walks to the stage of doom and tears of joy and sorrow, with a few minutes of dance thrown in here and there. Also, that whole fakeout routine, where the judges make the dancers feel awful before telling them they're in, got old after about, oh, last year. The good news is that there are some familiar faces among this top 20, so we did not in fact waste the past three weeks watching people we'd never see again. I'm not saying I agree with all their choices, though.

Of the ones we've never met on the show, I couldn't always tell their style of dance by the .5 second pirouette they did in that little montage at the end, so I'm just guessing that most of them are in that vague "contemporary/lyrical" classification, but here's what I gathered on the group:

Anya: sexy Latin/ballroom dancer we saw in New York

Pasha: Anya's partner. But will he fill Artem's and Dmitry's shoes for Mary's dotage?

Cedric: Pop 'n locker, maybe hip-hop, too?

Ashlee: Contemporary/lyrical?

Danny: Contemporary/lyrical. Travis Wall's adoptive brother. Shane has me worried about this kid's attitude problem. Mia seems to think he's shallow, but a genius. I hope he makes for good TV.

Jessi: I've decided baby-oil girl really is more of a mime than a dancer.

Jesus (aka Chuy): contemporary with some Latin flair

Jimmy: Contemporary/lyrical?

Lauren: Contemporary/lyrical? She's the one who worked with Tyce last year, and I'm relieved they didn't do some silly reverse discrimination and leave her out.

Kameron: Contemporary/lyrical?

Sabra: Contemporary/lyrical? For anyone who knows Hebrew, this is an interesting name for a girl with a 'fro. I'd love to hear her story.

Neil: Contemporary/lyrical?

Sara: The first B-girl on the show! (I don't think last year's popper Ashley counts.)

Shauna: Contemporary/lyrical?

Ricky: This contemporary dancer will definitely make for good TV if the audience isn't turned off by him. "I would vote for you because I'm strange, too," Mia offered. If he flies through the air like he did yesterday, he's got my vote, too.

And saving the most controversial for last...

Hok: Frankly, I think Twitch was a better dancer. But Hok's moves are more incredible, and his established rapport with the judges and that accent are going to take him far. I love the way those two guys handled being in the bottom together. Almost made me cry.

Lacey: I didn't see enough of her or Kristen to be able to judge who was better. But I know I would be pissed if I were Kristen, because no matter how good she is, she can't compete with the Schwimmer name and built-in audience following. Get ready for Dad's electric sign again.

Other notes: I didn't think Janet would make it through all the way, but kudos to her for making Nigel cry with that inspirational speech (the other three judges cry at anything). Thank goodness we're done with bratty Olivia, who complained that she wasn't cut sooner and was forced to work hard and hang out with people she didn't like.

Two bits of gossip: My new pal David Sperber, a very resourceful publicist for CBS, called me today to say he ran into Mary Murphy at a restaurant in L.A., and she confirmed the rumor that bruised-footed Claire did indeed have a baby instead of returning to her promised spot in Vegas. She's only 19, too! David also said Mary looked great and was really sweet. Thanks for lookin' out, David. Now go hunt down Mia, please, and take her shopping for some less-hideous tunics.

P.S. I love Mary's laugh. That might be because I, too, am prone to a loud cackle at times. My husband almost got up to sit next to someone else during Knocked Up last week. You call it annoying, I prefer to think of it as contagious.

• Members

I hope Faina is the first to go. Of the girls she's the one I'm least interested in seeing dance for a second time. For the boys there are a lot who weren't that good. Maybe it was nerves but so many of the men didn't look at their partner, losing both chemistry and connection during the dances. So far though I have no straight out faves.

• Members

Oh, I definitely had a favorite. Lacey and Kameron were absolutely amazing. Mia Michaels choreographed that dance for them and it gave me chills for sure. It was very emotional and excellently performed.

I think the worst were Ricky and Ashlee most simply because they were HORRIBLY mismatched. There is no reason that Amazon girl should have been paired with the petite Ricky. Both are good dancers, but the obscene difference made them look awkward and off balance, just dreadful. They will be in the bottom three you can rest assured, but maybe when they dance the solo, each will be spared and if the fates are kind, they will get different, more matched partners.

• Members

I'm really disappointed that the one Trick Pony Domenic was kept while Ricky was sent home. I wasn't upset that Ashlee was sent home, just because I was hopeful that Ricky and Sabre would have good potential. This show really should have a one week grace period before sending anyone home. Chemistry in ballroom with two dancers who've never done it before usually takes more than one week to develop. From what I've seen only the exprienced ballroom dancers can pull it off. I recall the same thing happened last year, and the result is that some really good dancers are cut too soon.

• Members

I agree with you 100%. I kept hoping that the judges would come back saying no one was going home this week, however I really did think Ashlee should go....and hoped the judges would keep Ricky so he could pair with any other girl. How deplorable that they sent home the best male dancer, a ballroom dancer at that and kept the boring hip-hop, breakdancers instead especially Cedric who I was really hoping would be cut.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I cannot decide whether it was sympathy votes for him due to his being treated publicly so poorly by the judges or his impassioned speech or whether it was the Shauna fans voting to keep them up. Frankly if anyone is voting to keep Shauna in, they did her an injustice because she can hold her own in the dance for your life and in the end could get an excellent partner deserving of her....like she could have had Pasha if it went like it should have tonight.

I thought Hummingbird by Hok and Jamie was the most brilliantly choreographed and executed dance of all the seasons. The bench one last year was tops until this. I'm so spellbound by it. What a joy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

After tonight I hope the bottom three are: Cedric and Shauna, Sabre and Domenic and Hok and Jamie with Cedric and someone else going home. I like all of the girls and tonight all the other couples kicked ass in their dances.

I also have to give a special shout out to Benji, who not only can Dance but can choreograph as well, who knew?

Archived