Why aren't soaps doing syndication?

• Members

I have a question: Why are some soaps not syndicated?

It would seem to make sense to me since I think that the shows would make more money that way right. It works for the talk shows: I mean Oprah and Dr. Phil seem to thrive with syndication. Does anyone know the answer?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

if soaps went into syndication they'd get cancelled. Many soaps, such as Port Charles, Sunset Beach, etc... were cancelled bc they were not shown in all markets bc not all affialiates carried them. You can bet that if a soap went into syndication, it would be aired less than if it were on a network. Its all about ratings and numbers

• Members

A new soap with a small cast and inexpensive actors would possibly have a chance in syndication but not an existing soap with large casts and expensive long-time actors. But affilliates would have a short leash so the show would have to make an immediate slash to stay on the air.

• Members

Back in the 80's i believe there was a syndicated soap, Another Life. Not sure how long it lasted but I don't think it was for very long. Maybe a 30 min. soap would work in synd. that would be a very interesting concept. higher production values, more intriguing storylines and a dedicated head writer and EP from the beginning.

• Members

Over the years there have been several syndicated soaps but they all bombed. They couldn't sustain ratings.

Some I remember-

Strange Paradise, a Canadian attempt to cash in on the success of Dark Shadows

Rituals- an attempt to launch a show mainly in prime time but the local stations tended to try morning slots instead

2 or 3 other Canadian soaps have tried.

I thought Another Life ran on CBN, the predecessor to what's now the ABC Family but was Fox Family for awhile.

Fox tried a couple of shows only on some stations but those didn't make it either. Tribes and Valley of the Dolls.

Archived