Halloween Teaser Trailer

Roman

• Members

I can speak for myself. If I do see it, I'll sneak in. I'm not paying eight dollars for Rob Zombie.

I've read the script, it's [!@#$%^&*]. Rob Zombie thinks the only way anything can be "authentic" and "gritty" is by taking it back to trailer parks, redneck '70s kitsch, and of course, being sure to involve his wife who can barely act. People give Zombie so many passes because he happens to have seen a great deal of the horror classics back catalog; that's fine, but just being a horror buff doesn't mean you can write or direct, and AFAIC he can't. Go see the movies with the rest of us, Rob. House of 1000 Corpses was incoherent [!@#$%^&*] and The Devil's Rejects was not much better. Not every single character should behave like a coked-out, oversexed hillbilly with Tourette's, with the most hardboiled, sub-Tarantino dialogue you can muster.

"Halloween" is about ordinary town and ordinary people and a guy who seemed totally normal yet did unspeakable things, and the suspense and horror was delicate, sleek, and relatively bloodless, but absolutely terrifying. It was, initially, a much classier series than, say, "Friday The 13th." Rob Zombie's remake, OTOH, is about a little boy beaten by his prostitute mother's redneck boyfriend who jerks off over dead animals in his spare time. This Michael talks, laughs, pervs on his sister, etc. Zombie's said over and over how Michael Myers needs to be "humanized" and how the focus of the original movie should've been on him, not Jamie Lee Curtis, and how Michael can't be a force of nature but has to be a human, like Ted Bundy or John Wayne Gacy. Every time Zombie wants to justify any bad creative choice he brings up real-life serial killers. But Michael Myers was never intended to be a reflection of real-life serial killers. He was called "The Shape" because John Carpenter did not intend for us to see him as just an ordinary man. He was supposed to be a ghostly force of nature. Carpenter's said this dozens of times. Zombie seems to think the original "Halloween" was way off-base and needed his "improvement."

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I know, me personally, that I wouldn't sneak in to see a movie that I've been trashing since I heard that it was announced. I wouldn't see what the point is.

Second, I know what Halloween is as well. Hell, I was sitting in a theater watching it the weekend it came out. Also, I loved the trailer, and will not judge an entire movie by a 1:30 trailer. I have seen trailers that sucked (Equilibrium)and the movie was fantastic.

But, to each their own. If you do see it, I do hope you enjoy it. I am plopping down my 6 bucks and seeing it the first chance I get. If I can wade through the crap Halloweens that have came out since H4, and paid for them, then I'll do it with this one as well.

Oh, and BTW, Vee, which script did you read? Because the one that AICN posted was a very early draft, and the shooting script has changed, from RZ's words, almost completely from that since then, so that anyone who read that hasn't gotten the true vision of his flick. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote that on purpose, since he knew people would rip it to shreads.

• Members

To my knowledge AICN never posted the script, they posted a review of it. Later on, several months later, a recent script popped up on the Net. As for the film itself and the review AICN wrote, Zombie claimed it was "a very early draft" but virtually every character and point mentioned in that review is in there now and the turnaround time for script and shooting from then to now was too fast for it to be all that "early."

Anyway, it's not as though Rob Zombie got John Carpenter, Tom Stoppard or William Shakespeare to come in and do a polish on his dialogue. We know how he writes. We know his ideas. I've seen scenes and dialogue from that script I read in the trailer. And I don't care for any of it. There's a time and place for gritty grindhouse-style horror; I love the Italian horror films, and films like The Hills Have Eyes, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and even Grindhouse. But Halloween is, and should always be, a very different animal. Zombie is, IMHO, homogenizing it to fit in with the current grindhouse/gritty '70s resurgence trend, as well as adding his own tired, retread pastiche sensibility which he really lifted off much, much better films and directors. A bunch of crappy Halloween sequels doesn't change the fact that what he's doing could very well wreck the series far worse than any of those - because by remaking it, this will likely lead Dimension or other owners to merely follow with any further films on to the style, continuity and text of his remake, a la the horrible TCM remakes, instead of sticking with the original spirit of the original franchise. Which is far better.

• Members

Worse than what it has already been wrecked? The last film had 8 really stupid people go spend the night in Michael's home. That ruined the series worse for me than anything else. Also, where did this other script pop up at? I would like to read it as well.

I have decided to let the film be the judge. I'm not going to base thgis film off of his previous work, because that would being doing a diservice to him and the great cast that was put together to make this latest Halloween. If it sucks then, I'll be the very first one to condemn it, but I just can't dog the film out after reading stuff on the net and, other than the trailer, not having seen one other scene in it.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Cool article from www.Fearnet.com :)

Most people don't look forward to the end of the summer, especially before the season's even begun. But this year Rob Zombie's given everyone a good reason to be impatient, with the release of Halloween, his remake of the John Carpenter classic, on August 31.

This weekend FEARnet had the opportunity to attend New Jersey's semi-annual Monster Mania, where we sat down and chatted with several members of Zombie's cast, including the new Michael Myers himself, Tyler Mane.

"The buzz is just phenomenal for this," said Mane, as he took a break from signing for fans. "Rob Zombie puts his spin on it, and I think people are excited for it. They're gonna see a different Michael Myers, but they're also gonna see similarities with the past. And the new twist on it is just gonna be phenomenal."

Mane's first worked with Zombie in the rock star-turned-filmmaker's last film, 2005's The Devil's Rejects. He told us he was thrilled to reunite with him on his follow-up. "Rob is fantastic, totally fantastic. He's got his vision, he knows what he wants, but yet he's willing to let you try things and do whatever it takes to get a natural-looking good movie. And he does it. It comes out phenomenal."

The six-foot-ten-inch former WCW wrestling star said the first Halloween "scared the crap" out of him when he first saw it years ago. But he watched it again in preparation for his new role. "I revisited all of them, except the third one, which Michael Myers isn't even in. I revisited them to watch what the other people portraying Michael Myers did, to pick up some things and then change some movements, stuff like that. It's gonna be interesting."

Mane was quick to point out that Zombie's Halloween will examine Myers' psychology more than the original film. "It gets a little more in-depth. It shows why he is a product of his environment, and how he reaches the point he does. I think it's kind of good instead of just throwing it in there. Because let's face it—if you hand anybody a rubber mask and a knife and tell them to go kill somebody, 99.99 percent of the people won't do it. Something had to create, in that person's mind, whatever it is that got them to that point. We explore that in this."

Joining Mane on Halloween is another veteran of Devil's Rejects, Sheriff Wydell himself—actor William Forsythe

"I've got a great working relationship with Rob," said Forsythe. "He has a great knowledge of film, particularly an era of film that I love, which is everything in the '70s and the '60s, that whole period. At this point we're friends. I'll probably end up doing every movie he does with him, because we get along great. He basically approached me to do Halloween—'I got something for you. You're not gonna be around the whole movie and everything, but will you come in?' I was like, 'Yeah, buddy. Anything you need.'

Regarding his new role of Ronnie White, Forsythe explained, "It's more of a cameo than the Devil's Rejects. I basically open the movie, for, whatever, the first twenty-something pages [of the script]. It was a great experience, all the way around; a lot of the same people, the same crew, everybody. [but] it's just a quick visit, as opposed to last time, when I went on the whole twelve-week journey with him."

Surprisingly—considering his sadistic role in The Devil's Rejects—Forsythe told us he prefers his horror to be the suspenseful kind. "I'm not the world's greatest horror-film fan. I'm more of a suspense kind of guy. I'm a big Hitchcock lover more than anything. That's what I prefer. To me, one of Hitchcock's greatest films was his simplest films, Psycho. Because the ingredients you put together on that film, the terror you experience and the journey you go on—not to mention the music; the music in that just kills… But I'm not a real horror guy. In fact, when we were gonna get together to do Devil's Rejects, I was like, 'Well, that's totally not my favorite kind of thing.' But then I was very impressed with what he ultimately did. And Halloween is his take on [the original] all the way, one-hundred percent."

Chief among the ways Zombie's Halloween will distinguish itself is in its use of celebrity cameos, with almost every major horror actor of the past thirty years making an appearance. Among them is Courtney Gains, star of the original Children of the Corn.

"The casting director had me in for something else," Gains told us, "and I saw that some people were actually auditioning for Halloween at the same time. So I said, 'Hey! You got anything for me?' They're like, 'Yeah, sure, read this.' I read for a totally different character and then blew out of town—it was over the holidays—then got back. They said they wanted to put me in it, but they weren't sure what role. They did some rewrites and gave me the role they gave me. I was just happy to be in it. With all the cameos in it, it's probably the greatest horror cast ever assembled. I mean, every cameo is a recognizable horror person. That was cool. So I was just totally glad to be part of that. I certainly realized that Halloween is probably considered the greatest horror film ever made, so the weight of doing a remake is pretty darn serious. I get the scope of doing that as a remake, for sure."

On working with Zombie for the first time, Gains said, "I think he goes for what is the truth he can find in the piece. What I was told was he'd kind of throw the script away, tear it all apart and put it back together again and we'd find something real. And that's exactly what happened. It's an interesting process, but the end result worked I think. It's a little nerve-wracking at times—you don't know what you're doing: 'What are we doing, man?' But in the end it delivered. [My scenes were] toward the end of the shoot, the winding down of the movie. But what I felt was everybody seemed very pleased. You could tell—everybody felt they were a part of something good. You can tell by the end of a shoot, whether people are like, 'Aw, man, this is a turkey,' and can't wait to be done with it. Or, 'Hey, we got something going here.' That was the feeling—'Hey, we got something going here.' That was exciting."

Gains is a longtime horror fan, so we asked him to name his favorite fright flick.

"It's fairly common, but when I was a kid, the movie that freaked me out was The Exorcist. I was young, and I had no business seeing that movie in the theater. That burned my retinas pretty good, so I'll say that. Nothing scared me more than that movie."

We also asked Tyler Mane to name his favorite.

The new Michael Myers flashed us a knowing grin. "Halloween '07."

• Members

I like Malcom Mcdowell playing Dr.Loomis, I think its his voice.I will miss Donald Plesance though.So the last we saw of DP

Was in Halloween 6?When he sent Tommy Doyle, the girl and the baby away?Do you think Micheal killed him?cause in h20 they said the nurse took care of him until he died, making it sound like he survived.What do you all think?

• 1 month later...

Archived