Regina Spektor is Amazing

2shane8

• Members

And I know at least ONE other person on here thinks so, because I noticed her in a signature the other day. However, I was very busy at that moment and in the process of logging off, so I don't remember who 'twas.

Anyway, both of her full-length albums, "Soviet Kitsch" and "Begin To Hope," are superb blends of intoxicating vocals and delicious melodies. She isn't really mainstream by any stretch, but she is getting some airplay for the single "Fidelity."

Annoyingly, a lot of the press compares her to Tori Amos ("the new Tori") just because she is a woman playing piano. This is bullocks, because A) there will never be another Tori; and B) they really aren't that similar other than a penchant for sometimes-quirky lyrics, and the piano stuff. If anyone is a new Tori, then it's Charlotte Martin.

So ... does anyone else like Regina?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It was me Shane :) I first heard her on CSI: New York. "Samson" was playing during the last scenes when Stella killed her abusive boyfriend. I looked the song up and listened to some more of her stuff, and became an instant fan. I bought "Soviet Kitsch" "Begin To Hope" and I just ordered "Mary Ann Meets the Gravediggers" I can't wait for her to go on tour.

I think Keith & CRC are also fans.

• Members

Regina Spektor sucks. She's very, very, very, very annoying. Annoying as hell. I'm not a Tori Amos fan, but she's by far a better singer and performer.

Spektor and Corinne Bailey Rae ( she should be named Corinne Boring Rae, as Lady Sovereign has said) are the worst 2 women singers to come along iin a long time.

• Members

Lady Sovereign is just jealous because her debut CD has only sold 50,000 copies, while Rae is about to go 3 times platinum. :lol:

Of course both women are aquired tastes, and you either love them or hate them. :)

• Members

Mulder, I think this is one of the only times I've ever disagreed with you in three years!

I absolutely love Regina Spektor, and find her to be amazing beyond words :)

Luckily, we are not totally out of sync, because I CANNOT STAND Corinne Bailey Rae, and I agree that she is boring, dull, and has a noticeable lack of melody.

• Members

I realized that now :lol: But since people still don't know who she is, and I only discovered her a month ago, she's new to me :lol:

Btw Mike, You still liking the Dresden Dolls? They are doing the gay rights tour "True Colors" with Cyndi Lauper, Erasure, Debbie Harry, and others.

Archived