All Soaps: Is the lack of diversity boring you?

• Members

If I recall, these couples were considered the "bad" couples, the ones we weren't supposed to root for. For example, wasn't Roseanne supposed to be a spoiler for Antonio/Andie and/or Cristian/Jessica? It's that old racist story in which an Old World/minority character (Antonio/Cristian) wants to "break free" of his/her backward, intolerant culture and aspires to something "better."

It's sad that a couple like Angie/Jessie on AMC would be marginalized as a "token black, politically correct, backburner couple" these days. Same-race minority couples can have just as much frontburner potential as interracial couples. Then again, it's hard to maintain minority characters on majority-white soaps if there isn't some romantic flexibility. Otherwise, they get stuck in a "ghetto," so to speak, in which they only interact with characters of their race, which was a real problem on Y&R until they started testing Malcolm/Phyllis (which was OK), Neil/Victoria (blah), and Brad/Olivia (disastrous).

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, I've thought of this too. Which is more of an insult to the minority community? Having a situation where the minority characters are married to each other with no flexibility or having minority characters that have interracial relationships? I think the answer is to have enough characters of different races and backgrounds, so that you can have it both ways. Then just follow the chemistry, which is something I wish soaps would do a lot more often.

I wasn't watching AMC when they tried to make the Fusion girls into SITC type characters, but I don't think they should rip off that show. Just model a character or two in the mold of independent single women who want to stay that way for awhile. One of the issues I have with daytime is the unrealistic portrayal of motherhood. At least Y&R is showing a post partum depression story (I think), which is something.

• Members

I get what you mean for hte ABC soaps but the ones I listed for Sunset Beach were defiently not the "bad" couples. Ricardo/Paula were one of their premiere couples and the Antonio/Gabi/Ricardo triangle was pretty big in its last year with both pairings having rooting value

• Members

It's too bad Sunset Beach didn't survive; it was a really diverse show with a lot of potential. It's interesting how a lot of the recent NBC soaps - Santa Barbara, Sunset Beach, and Passions - all had strong Latino casts in leading roles. ABC and CBS also had their Latino "phases" back in the '90s, but only the Vegas on OLTL survived.

• Members

Going after the Latino market makes total sense. Latino's are quickly becoming the largest minority, so I think there is potential there. B&B was in a good place to capitalize on that, since the show takes place in LA, yet they wrote most of their Latino characters off. It's too bad. Now that Sally is gone and Spectra is no more :( :( Maybe it's time for another rival fashion house. Introduce a Latino family as the rivals and finally stop the incest by proxy that's been going on for years. I can dream, can't I?

• Members

Ha. Yes. And that's actually a great idea...to create a Latino rival fashion house. Saundra Santiago (ex-Carmen, GL) would be brilliant going toe-to-toe with Susan Flannery, and perhaps Lindsey Hartley can join the show when PASSIONS goes off the air.

It's always been baffling to me how a fashion-based drama set in L.A. would have few LATINOS, few ASIANS, and no GAY MEN. You'd think Stephanie would have spat out at least one gay son.

• Members

B&B created a Hispanic male designer. Then, they paired him with Kristen Forrester. Then, they gave him HIV+. Then, they had the couple adopt an HIV+ African son. Then, they wrote the family off the show.

*rolling eyes*

Their other Hispanic characters were canned recently.

I loved GENERATIONS. *sigh*

• Members

The lack of diversity is disturbing.

However, I don't want to see characters just bring characters on so they can say they have Hispanic characters or African-Americans. If they bring them on, write for them. I love seeing shows putting them in frontburner stories. That is why I was so happy when Days' Lexie and Abe finally started being used in 2000. They had been nothing but minor to supporting character for years and they finally were given meaty material. It was great.

One thing about shows like Sunset Beach, Santa Barbara, and Passions is they really tried to diversify and utilize the characters on the frontburner. Passions had families of different classes, race, etc. It was great and I applaud them for that, If only more shows would do that.

Archived