AMC: Justin Bruening SOD Online Interview

• Members

http://soapoperadigest.com/features/amc/in.../amclosesdixie/

AMC Loses Its Dixie Chick

By Erica Brown

Justin Bruening (Jamie)

—ABC

The Satin Slayer claims another life next week on ALL MY CHILDREN and no one in Pine Valley sees this one coming — especially the victim's family. Justin Bruening weighs in on Dixie's death, the aftermath and just how Jamie will deal with the loss of his stepmother (for real, this time). Grab a tissue, Dixie fans!

Soap Opera Weekly: How does Jamie get involved in the Satin Slayer story?

Justin Bruening: Jamie decides to help his father with the investigation, and they're starting to find a pattern with the serial killings. There are scenes where Jamie and Tad find a painting — it's a threat against Kendall — and I'm goofing around. I did it on purpose for that episode because I don't get to laugh anymore for quite some time! Up until now, nothing has really affected Jamie directly yet. He didn't really know Erin, and he knew Simone because his father was banging her, but other than that, I really didn't have any scenes with these people.

Weekly: Were you shocked they decided to kill Dixie?

Bruening: Oh, yeah! I was like, "What?" Then I thought, "Am I dead next? Are they going to kill me off, too?" Nobody saw it coming, and that's why it's such a shock. It's so sad. Dixie was like a mother to Jamie. His father loved her. She gave Jamie his brother. This is going to kill everybody.

Weekly: How do Tad and Jamie learn about Dixie?

Bruening: They are at the police station, and Derek gets a phone call. He's saying things in the phone like, "Adam, slow down." Everyone starts paying attention at that point because there is only one person at Adam's house. They think it's Babe. But Derek tells Tad, "I'm sorry — it's Dixie." Of course Tad and Jamie rush to the hospital.

Weekly: Do they make it in time to see Dixie?

Bruening: They see her for a split-second. As they're wheeling her in, we run in and see her. That's one sad thing: my character never got to say goodbye. I don't know if it will come across, but Jamie wanted to, but he's in shock. This wasn't the plan of the killer. Tad becomes very reserved and quiet. They're there for a little bit and then everybody starts to show up and is asking what happened. We all have our little flashbacks. Apparently I lost a frog or something. That's my flashback.

Weekly: How is Jamie handling everything?

Bruening: He holds it together; very composed. He doesn't know what to do because he's never expressed emotion. He's the strong one. He's uncomfortable with it, so he's very quiet, like his father. He stands back and watches. He helps people that need it, but he's very contemplative.

Weekly: Is he contemplating her chances of survival?

Bruening: Jamie knew she was going to die because of his medical background. He knew Dixie had a heart condition and only one kidney. He knew she was most likely not going to make it, but he didn't want to be the one to say that. There was still that little hope.

Weekly: Then Joe confirms Jamie's worst fear: Dixie indeed died. How does Jamie react?

Bruening: He doesn't know what to do. He looks at Tad and is like, "How is that possible?" Tad goes to leave and Jamie goes after him to stop him, partly because he doesn't want to be there by himself. Everyone else has somebody. JR has Babe. Del and Di have each other. Jamie is utterly by himself. Joe grabs him and Jamie tries not to cry because he's trying to be strong for everyone, but he starts to when Tad leaves him. When they take him in to see the body, Jamie loses it. Everyone goes in to say their goodbyes, but Jamie never does. He actually goes back in a little corner. I think that's going to be something he's really going to regret, too, not saying goodbye to her. But you can only be so strong.

Weekly: After she dies, Dixie still manages to comfort her kids when her spirit walks into her hospital room, right?

Bruening: Yes. She puts a hand on JR and then she walks over to Jamie and puts her hand on his shoulder. He senses something, but he turns around to look for her and she's not there.

Weekly: How sad! What happens next?

Bruening: The next day they find Jamie in his father's office. He hasn't slept all night. He's completely focused on finding the killer. He's going to get him. That's his job now. His business is revenge now. He wants to find the guy who offed his momma!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My guess with the Jamie flashback, it was one of when he was a little boy, played by a different actor. So JB probably doesn't know much about it. It'll be interesting though, to see the Jamie stuff. He always was the one who stayed out of the family drama and theatrics, so to finally see him lose it.

This is going to be so sad. :( I hope though, that ultimately, this makes Tad, Jamie and JR a stronger family for Kate.

Poor Tad, sounds like he's just in shock. I would be too. This is going to be killer.

• Members

WORD! F!ck you ABC! What a freaking crock- you know I think we'd all have been a lot happier had they not had Cady back at all and made Di be Dixie. It would be a helluva lot better than getting sh!t on like this.

I don't claim to like Dixie and I won't miss her, but she has a huge, dedicated, loyal following that begged, screamed and shouted for her return. And this is what it results in! Such a shame, what a waste.

Archived