DAYS: Kola Boof blasts NBC Pres. Kevin Reilly

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"I mean honestly—how in the hell have they never done any stories about breast implants, pot smoking, feminist political sex—meaning young career women who think it’s perfectly fine to share a bed with two men at the same time, reverse racism against whites—that could be a compelling storyline with an intelligent black woman like me writing it, man-sharing or exploring for instance the dislike between white women and black women in society."

Yeah, why HASN'T there been a breast implant story on daytime?

She really just hit the nail on the head. It's truly bizarre how the networks and soap writers/producers have behaved as if the past thirty years never happened. I mean, daytime still has a problem with INTEGRATION!!! Not to mention that you can watch two Top 20 shows, Desperate Housewives and Brothers & Sisters, on Sunday nights and see two gay men kiss, and not have a press release done about it like it's so spectacular or groundbreaking. Hey, it's just real life. ATWT is scared to let Luke have a freakin' boyfriend, even though his coming-out story was the only thing on the show people liked in 2006! Yet we still get the serial killers and baby-switchers and "Who's the Daddy?" madness. It's mind-boggling how these people aren't even TRYING.

[s.W.S.N.B.N.] could be the last hope for daytime...she gets that soaps need to evolve thematically and politically yet maintain the traditions, touchstones, and sense of community and history that make them unique.

• Members

Wow!!! Just WOW!!! What a formidable woman! I wouldn't mess with her!! If she were the headwriter for any soap, I can't even imagine how great the show would be. Soaps would be taken to the next level and I think that they would start to bounce back in the ratings. She has a better concept of what the audience wants then morons who are actually in charge. No wonder Y&R is doing so well right now. Even if she is only giving ideas, they are working well for the show. Maybe CBS should take a risk and put her in as the headwriter for ATWT.

I don't care what did or didn't happen in her past. She would be a good fit for AMC. They could go back to character driven, cutting edge storylines. Put her in charge of a soap NOW before the genre does die.

• Members

I can totally see where you are coming from on this, as another GH viewer. I think what most excites me about Boof now and from the stuff in the past, is her passion for the genre itself...something that others in the industry don't really seem to have....

Archived