Freedom of speech?

SpiritualJunkie

• Members

This is in response to the thread Danni started. It's unfortunate that I didn't read it earlier because now that I have and want to respond, it's closed.

First, I want to talk about the fact that it got closed. I think it touched on a really interesting issue that should be discussed. Just because it was turning ugly doesn't mean it should have been closed.

Where's the freedom of speech? If you disagree, say why. I realize many people did but closing the thread just ignores the issue and doesn't allow for further discussion. It's a shame.

Now onto what I think...

Yes, racism originated from power relations but Danni, when you say only whites can be racist, you automatically assume that only whites can act, and therefore, be superior to other races. I think that argument is beyond flawed. You make it sound like whites being superior to other races is natural which it isn't. That power relation CAN change. Therefore, a person from any race can be racist.

This isn't just about whites vs. blacks. To make it so ignores all the other ethnic groups out there...which is just self-absorbed and ignorant. If you look within Asia, the Japanese were terrorizing other Asian groups during the Second World War. There was definitely a power relation within the continent and it wasn't whites overpowering blacks...it was Japanese overpowering other Asians.

I agree that just because you take a sociology class on racism doesn't give you the right to stomp on everyone else's opinions and not give it a fair analysis. I watched a film last week called "In a Soldier's Footsteps" and found out one of the corrupt Ugandan government officials has a degree in some area involving human rights. So what's your point?

I agree there is still a huge divide between white/black equalities but blacks have gained far more than other "minorities" such as hispanics, asians, natives, arabs, east indians, etc. For black people to complain that blacks are still not being treated fairly without considering how other minorities are also getting scrap is again, selfish and ignorant.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wish the thread hadn't been closed either. I don't think it warranted such an action because there was a disagreement.

Danni is passionate. In her defense, the truth does not always have to be polite or presented in a nice format, but her facts were true. I digressed on many of her arguments, but on others, I wholeheartedly agreed. I wanted to continue the discussion. A clash of idelogy exists everyday, but if diversity is to be heralded, we should be able to examine our differences.

I wanted to submit the following books of interest that deals with racism:

Breaking the Curse of Willie Lynch: The science of slave Psychology by Alin Morrow

Behold a pale horse by William Coulbert

Ixis papers

• Members

I want to add another book to your list that I think directly deals with what Danni has been saying about the differences between "systematic racism" and "racial prejudice"...

"Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?": And Other Conversations About Race by Beverly Daniel Tatum, Ph.D.

Archived