Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning

Shawn

• Members

I can't remember the last time I felt so physically drained after watching a movie. This movie is RELENTLESS from beginning to end.

It has GREAT acting, heartbreaking moments, action, gore, and I mean a LOT of blood. Its brutal and intense, and my heart felt like it was going to burst from my chest as I watched it.

Jordana Brewster gets more beautiful every time she graces the screen. She's come a LONG way since As the World Turns.

And Matthew Bomer? My new favorite hottie!

I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the horror genre. If you didn't like the remake, you'll still like this one, and if you liked the remake, you're going to LOVE this.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The difference is that this movie takes place before the original. When you go see it, you'll see what I mean. Things take place in this movie that lead up to the original.

I must say that I was a little freaked by this movie. I was sitting in my chair trying not to look scared because I was with a group of people from work, but I'll admit it; I was slouching down in my chair at parts. It was so gory.

• Members

I was disapointed in this one actually.

On its own, it's not a bad horror movie by any means. But, having seen The Texas Chainsaw Massacre from 2003, and loving that, and seeing how well this concept can be executed, left me disapointed because I know how amazing this could have been.

You mention heartbreaking moments, and characterizations being strong, but I didn't find any of that.

The blonde girl was not fleshed out at all, she just gets chained to a bed and raped, before being "set free" at the dinner table. The blonde kid is passed out through most of the movie, and only has some brief action during the final chase.

The only people to get some decent material were Bomer and Brewster. But it wasn't near what I've come to expect from these new TCMs. The fact I can't even remember any of the kids names says alot for me.

Where were scenes like Erin killing her friend on the meathook to end his mysery, and praying for forgiveness under his dripping blood. Or scenes like Morgan being made to re-enact the girl's suicide in the van, choking on the gun and trying to kill Hoyt with it? Or Kemper's engagement ring falling from his pocket as Leatherface strung him up? All 5 of those victims had meaty roles, and heavy scenes and in this one most are on the backburner except for Brewster.

The only thing close was Bomer's death scene with Brewster under the table, but in the end totally off the mark because she didn't have any time to have one of those emotional moments.

Then we have that ending. I know this is a prequel and there are limitations. But it was so unsatisfying they way they had Brewster just die after everything she'd survived in the film. There were better options. She could have escaped and not be able to lead anyone back there (ie Sally and the original 70s TCM), she coulda gone mad, she could have been tortured a bit more at the dinner scene and killed there in a more satisfying way. Instead of that "oh, btw, leatherface is in the backseat ... CHAINSAW IN THE BACK" ending we got.

In the end, it was a decent modern horror movie. But comparisons to the 2003 remake cannot be avoided, and it was far superior.

• Members

^^ITA with everything you said Drew.

I just saw this movie - and while it was entertaining for a stand alone horror movie, it just - well everything Drew said was going through my head.

I have to say though - Matt Bomer is HOT and he has the most gorgeous eyes I've ever seen. Jordana Brewster is hella hot too.

Like Drew - I thought the ending was not satisfying at all - I'm not a fan of everyone dying in the movie - the chick should have been set free and any of the circumstances Drew laid out would have been great - the chainsaw in the back thing just was a letdown.

I did think it was interesting how Hoyt 'became' the sherriff.

• Members

I liked how Hoyt became sheriff also. The brief bits of leatherface background we got were also nice.

I liked that we did get a dinner scene in this film. But again, going back to the 70s version, it could have been so much rawer and intense. And I found it out of character for the family to kill the blonde girl at the dinner table. I don't see them messing up their table, the way they've made such an importance out of the family, their religion, and coming together for supper. I didn't think it fit IMO.

• Members

Not scary. Not interesting. A real waste of potential IMHO. The first two original films are superior. I think they thought this one could just coast on R. Lee Ermey. It was better than the remake, but then I hated the remake.

Also, Leatherface in the backseat was laughable. Come on now. First of all, anyone who has seen two or three slasher films immediately knows the guy is probably in the back. Secondly, though, Leatherface is a huge dude. It's not Michael Myers, who is quiet and usually slender and stealthy. Leatherface? Would you really not notice Leatherface in the back seat?

Archived