The Politics Thread

• Members

Why, you dirty rotten...

:D J/K... Actually, our views of the past seem somewhat different as it always takes two to tango... But the past doesn't interest me. I truly want to get along with you and enjoy chatting with you. I think we can do it... opposing political viewpoints isn't reason enough to dislike someone or not get along. I think we got off on the wrong foot and misstepped ever since.

Email me... or I can email you. I want to get to know you better. :)

Why, you dirty rotten...

:D J/K... Actually, our views of the past seem somewhat different as it always takes two to tango... But the past doesn't interest me. I truly want to get along with you and enjoy chatting with you. I think we can do it... opposing political viewpoints isn't reason enough to dislike someone or not get along. I think we got off on the wrong foot and misstepped ever since.

Email me... or I can email you. I want to get to know you better. :)

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

From the Washington Post:

One of President-elect Barack Obama's top immigration advisers oversaw a Clinton-era program that awarded U.S. citizenship to thousands of convicted criminals and failed to conduct adequate FBI background checks on foreigners during a push to reduce a backlog of naturalization applications.

T. Alexander Aleinikoff and Mariano-Florentino "Tino" Cuellar, a professor at Stanford Law School and a senior Treasury Department adviser in the Clinton administration, were named last month by Mr. Obama to co-lead his immigration policy transition team.

C H A N G E .

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/d...gration-policy/

Edited by GoldenDogs

• Members

It was foolish. I guess throwing a shoe is some cultural norm. Had it happened in America, the guy would be locked up forever. The Secret Service is being criticized for all of this. I actually give them credit. Had they overreacted and shot the man, it would have started an international incident.

• Members

From FOX News:

A federal grand jury is investigating how a California firm that contributed to the political activities of New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson won a lucrative government contract.

Richardson is President-elect Barack Obama's nominee to head the Department of Commerce. An official with Obama's transition office did not have immediate comment Tuesday.

C H A N G E .

• Members

From FOX News:

Rahm Emanuel, President-elect Obama's chief of staff, had direct discussions with Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich about Obama's vacant Senate seat, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

Sources with knowledge of the conversations told the Sun- Times Emanuel spoke with the governor and pushed for the appointment of Valerie Jarrett in the days after the presidential election and asked that it be done by a certain date.

The sources said Blagojevich told aides about conversations with Emanuel and sometimes gave them directions afterward. Some conversations between Blagojevich and Emanuel were likely caught on tape, the sources said.

An Obama source strongly denied Emanuel spoke with the governor directly about the seat, the Sun-Times reported.

C H A N G E ?

• Members

I saw a map of the election by counties across the country. I think it pretty much shows that using the maps to show the strength of Republicans is complete BS. The map is still overwhemingly red, yet Obama won by 9.5 million votes.

Edited by bandbfan

• Members

CNN analysts posted their political predictions.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/31/200...ions/index.html

I agree with Carville. I think a party in power often gets arrogant and tries to get away with smarmy behavior. I also think the Republicans are a divided party right now. I think it will be an interesting fight between the economic conservatives and the social conservatives for control of that party. I personally put my bet -- and my hopes -- on the economic conservatives.

I also think that there is going to be a clear definition between Republicans and Democrats over the role of government versus the role of the market system. That is a discussion that would be interesting. Casey was a strong free-market Republican.

Hillary Rosen said she thinks Obama will fight with House dems because he is a centrist. I think that is interesting because of all his positions on government involvement in rescuing the economy. That is a pretty liberal position IMO.

• Members

IMO, it'll be a while before Republicans have lots of majorities again if they go more socially conservative. Their main demo, older white men, is not really growing.

I honestly don't keep up with the House as much partially because of how many people are in it. Are the Dems really liberal? Reps really conservative? I would imagine there would be more opportunity for that to happen as their public would be much more localized.

• Members

That's a lot of balloons

Digg Facebook Newsvine del.icio.us Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Bookmarks Print Sat Jan 17, 9:18 pm ET

As the recession continues to wreak havoc on the U.S. economy and inauguration celebrations ramp up, a lot of people are asking: "How much will this shindig cost?"

The short answer? More than $150 million — and yep, that's the most expensive ever. (By comparison, George W. Bush's 2005 inauguration cost $42.3 million. Bill Clinton managed with $33 million in 1993.)

For the first time, President Bush has declared an emergency in Washington, D.C. to supplement the $15 million Congress has already allotted for security measures. It's no surprise that security costs are sky-high — Barack Obama received Secret Service protection very early in his presidential run and record crowds (likely anywhere from 1.5 to 3 million people) are expected for the record number of events. In fact, the Secret Service will be in charge of security not just for inauguration day, but for four days, starting Saturday with Obama's train ride from Philadelphia. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff told the AP:

"It will be the most security, as far as I'm aware, that any inauguration's had."

Obama's much-discussed (and very cool-looking) custom Cadillac limo certainly couldn't come cheap, though we'll never really know how much it cost. Cadillac spokesman David Caldwell said the car's exact specifications are a big secret, including the safety features and production cost.

But Forbes reports it's not all flak jackets and armored cars:

To manage an event of this scale, the District of Columbia will spend a mammoth $47 million. It is not enough.... Much of the $45 million will go toward creating a dynamic Inauguration experience for the everyday visitor, not just funding exclusive events. "We don't even consider these events to be extravagant," says Linda Douglas, a spokeswoman from the Presidential Inauguration Committee. "With crowds of this size, most of our attention is being devoted to opening up as many events to the public."

The good news for taxpayers: Inaugural celebrations are paid for by the inaugural committee — and Obama has, once again, been a very successful fundraiser — at least $35 million by recent counts. Carole Florman, spokeswoman for the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies, told the New York Daily News:

"We're always very budget conscious. But we're sending a message to the entire world about our peaceful transition of power, and you don't want it to look like a schlock affair. It needs to be appropriate to the magnitude of events that it is."

And if you're eager to whoop it up in the same sassy fashion as our government, Washington hotels have come up with tons of ways for you to spend your money. The Washingtonian has made a list of some of the best ... and worst.

"Most unusual item in a hotel package: Round-trip airfare and hotel for four in St. Petersburg, Russia, part of the Omni Shoreham’s Live Like a President package—the trip is aimed at gaining “foreign-policy experience.” The $440,000 package also includes an in-suite dinner with entertainer Mark Russell.

Most controversial item: A puppy—in honor of Obama’s promise to get his daughters a dog — was originally part of the package deal at the Omni Shoreham but was dropped when the hotel caught heat from animal lovers. Instead, the hotel will make a donation to the Washington Humane Society."

So don't feel bad if you're sitting on the couch watching the historic festivities from home — at least you'll be saving some pennies.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_pl204

• Members

That article I posted is one of the things that bugs me to death about politicians, and the reason that when people are talking about hope and change and all that crap I am forever cynical and jsut say they are all being whitewashed.

These politicians -- every one of them -- say they care and say they are different. They ahve the audacity to complain about big executives coming to Washington to ask for money in their private jets, when the majority of them took private jets there that were paid by the tax payers. Pelosi even requested a bigger plane than the one usually afforded to the person in her position which costs more in fuel.

Then they all come in and have these big fancy shindigs and hire decorators at the tax payers expense to redecorate the White House.

And Obama who was supposed to be different than the others is falling right into the same old patters and now his Inagural is costing more than any other in the history of inaugurals.

As Yahoo puts it:

"Obama's inauguration will cost nearly four times more than the next most expensive celebration"

And they wonder why people like me don't trust them and don't feel any hope when any of them get into office. Politicians have jaded me way too much. I don't trust any of them and never will again.

• Members

There are committees in charge of that stuff. It has nothing to do with him. why you wouldnt trust him based off of his inaguration cost , I dont get. He's popular so the committees set up a lot of things for it. judge him not for who he is (basically a celebrity), judge him for what he does in terms of recovering this country.