GH: O’Connor/Van Etten OUT! Mulcahey/Korte IN!

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think a lot of people come into daytime and say "Hey, they did this in primetime so let's do it in daytime," and that backfires. It just sets things back and does not come off as effective. And that is attributed to many factors, two of which are money and time. They want to write for plot and not character; daytime is all about character, which I don't feel primetime is necessarily about. Especially in today's world of Netflix and streaming. You have eight to twelve episodes to produce per season. Daytime is over 200 episodes. It's an entirely different animal altogether.

Hogan Sheffer, from my point of view, did some good work until he didn't, and it showed in the finished product. And it baffles me he was at The Young and the Restless, because his work was unrecognizable to me. And I don't know much about One Life to Live, but I do recall an interview Erika Slezak did where she didn't think Linda Gottlieb was necessarily right for the show. To quote: ❝ Who was a filmproducer and who was going to revolutionize daytime, which she did not do in two years. And she changed certain things. I suppose I can say what I feel: I don't think she was terribly good for the show. ❞

• Members

Yes, that's some of what I was referring to. I think Erika is completely wrong, but she's entitled to her opinion. Gottlieb and Malone changed that show (and a lot about ABC Daytime's production style) forever.

• Members

Both Jill and Linda Gottlieb featured Erika heavily including new love stories, but Gottlieb was a very big, brash personality making a huge amount of changes very fast (and not without difficulty or mistakes). Yet at the same time Erika has always gushed with praise for the material given to her by Gottlieb's HW, Michael Malone. It's complicated. Jill's tenure was ruinous for the show but more to Erika's tastes as she again got a vital new romance with a partner she adored. It happens. I don't fault Erika (or several other actors at the show, not counting James DePaiva who threw a chair at Gottlieb) for feeling how she feels even if I disagree.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Far from the first or last! To bring it vaguely back on topic: Tony Geary did that or more to Richard Culliton here at GH in 1997, and may or may not have thrown shít around with EP Wendy Riche, I can't remember.

• Members

Horror is a genre, noir is a genre, romance is a genre. Soaps are not a genre. 

Does anyone know how to pronounce Mulcahey? I’ve been pronouncing it “Mull-KA-hey”. 

• Members

That rumor is floating around and who knows? But I know I don't believe the rumor about their story's alleged content, which claimed they were resurrecting Susan Moore. That sounds like pure fanfic to me.