Disney+: Marvel Studios' Ms. Marvel

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Well, this show was useful for something in the wider MCU - setting up the existence of the X-gene/mutant gene. Kamala Khan is an Inhuman in the comics, but is clearly being set-up as the first person to be called a "mutant" in the MCU 616 timeline. Granted, there's only like 5 people who have ever cared about the Inhumans, so outside of those people, I think most people are just happy the sacred timeline is building up to a wider expansion of mutants and the eventual MCU X-Men reboot. 

• Members

I'm not sure most MCU fans or the general public really give a shít about the change. The early 2010s Inhumans push that was linked to Kamala's introduction was wildly unpopular with both readers and creative personnel at Marvel, pushed from on high by people who were directly in opposition to Kevin Feige. Their subsequent banishment from key story was welcomed. So while a handful of loud people on Twitter might complain, I think most fans and audiences are surprised and relieved.

• Members

There's also a lot of "They ruined/rewrote too much of her origin and made it so confusing!" but I wonder how many viewers care about any of that. There are a lot of questionable optics in tying her so closely to Carol Danvers so  if they have moved her away from this in her origin it probably isn't a bad thing. 

• Members

Apparently, per her creators, Kamala was originally planned to be a mutant in the comics - but the politics of Marvel/Disney not owning the film rights to X-Men and their associated characters came into play and prevented that at the time.

Ms. Marvel Co-creator Says Character Was Originally Planned as Mutant

The show creators have also said the direction to make Kamala a mutant in the MCU came directly from Kevin Feige and they hadn’t originally written that in.

It is fair to say Kevin Feige has a distaste for the Inhumans in his month. The very racist and misogynistic Ike Pearlmutter (former Marvel CEO) tried to use the Inhumans as an X-Men/mutant replacement for years because they couldn’t profit from those films as they sold the film rights to Fox in the 90’s. The fans noticed that sh!t right away too - but it never worked, the Inhumans comics never sold and the X-lines generally remained best sellers for them (despite horrible creators being put on them). Fantastic Four arguably got it worse when Marvel canceled that book completely at one point for similar reasons. They also stuck the Spider-Man lines with horrible creators and some of the worst stories of that time - but Spider-Man being seen as the “face” of the Marvel brand meant they couldn’t sideline him completely.

Pearlmutter also forced Feige to put an Inhumans film on the MCU slate, which Feige hated. Things eventually got so bad that Feige went to then Disney CEO Bob Iger and threatened to quit if they didn’t remove Pearlmutter as his boss. The Inhumans project was then shifted to TV (and Pearlmutter’s influence was then relegated to Marvel’s pre Disney+ Marvel TV shows).

Yes, Kamala will next appear in The Marvels alongside Carol and Monica Rambo. The first Captain Marvel movie was very divisive, so I wonder if this film being repositioned as 3-piece (as opposed to ‘Captain Marvel 2’) is intentional.

Now that Kamala is also a mutant, I wonder if they’ll pull from Claremont’s Avengers Annual #10 and do a take on Rogue’s origin story, or at least tease it in a post credit scene. 

• Members

I knew all the rest, but didn't know that about Kamala. It doesn't surprise me. That initiative from Perlmutter was also responsible for de-mutanting Wanda Maximoff and her brother Quicksilver and making them no longer the children of Magneto, something which has been all but officially reversed again in recent story since as Wanda is heavily tied to Magneto and the mutant books again today. I'm counting the days til they declare both are Magneto's mutant kids again at this point.