Together: Early 80s ITV soap

• Members

I hadn't heard much about this show, but it has recently been revisited by some digital channel over in the UK and was released on DVD. I purchase the DVD set that has both of the show's two seasons included except for two episodes that are considered missing. Set in an apartment building run by a housing association, the series has a eclectic mix of older and younger characters. I'm nine episodes into the first season and the show has already broached the issues of abortion, suicide, and homosexuality among some more light hearted moments. 

In the premier episode, the audience follows Derek Harding, a retiree who had sold his home, arrived at Rutherford Court with the assistance of his daughter and son-in-law. Harding is the initial access point for the viewer. An older gentleman feeling lonely and isolated, Derek decides he is going to end his life, as well as that of his dog, rather than be a burden to people. Harding chooses to live, but not before feeding his dog sleeping pills leading to the show's initial dramatic moments. After the situation is resolved, Harding starts to fall off, and, in the latest episode, it looks like they are setting up his departure. I enjoyed Harding's romance with Daphne Porter, a retired nurse, who helps him when one of his neighbors reports that he was mistreating the dog. 

One of the most interesting dynamics is between Marion Finch, a retired shop clerk, and her younger divorcee sister, Sarah Cunningham. Sarah's divorce was preceded by a stint in the mental hospital, which is revealed rather dramatically in a fight between the sisters in the canteen in the common room of the facility. When one of their neighbors goes off the deep end and starts stealing as a cry for help, Sarah decides she is going to live her life and begins spending nights out, which worries Marion. Marion is an overprotective sister acting more as Sarah's mother than her sister. If this was an American soap, I'd expect them to reveal Marion was actually Sarah's mother. 

The most surprising storyline was the introduction of Trevor Wallace, an attractive single man who lives in Rutherford Court. His pal Mike Gowers is trying to get him to go out on a double date with him, which leads to Trevor asking Tricia Webber, the beautician daughter of the husband and wife who run the complex, to be his escape plan. Trevor and Tricia ended up going to a production of "Annie" and their date ends with Tricia confused about Trevor's feelings. This is only further escalated by the fact that Trevor gently kisses Tricia on her forehead. In the following episodes, we meet Trevor's friend Peter, a hospital porter, who's picture is later discovered in Trevor's wallet by Mike. Mike has made hints about outing Trevor, but nothing has really been brought out into the open yet. 

Daphne Porter, the crusty former nurse, is one of my favorite characters. She very no-nonsense, but also has a softer side. She is very proud of her work in the nursing field. This is utilized when Julie Dunn, the newly married housewife, has discovered she's pregnant shortly after she and her law clerk husband Richard move into the complex. Rutherford Court has a "no children" policy and the expectation is that the Dunns would either have to move out or Julie will have to terminate the pregnancy. Daphne was very much against abortion shaping her opinion mostly by the fact that she would watch women recovering from abortions next to women trying to conceive. Richard seems to initially be for the abortion before telling Julie its her decision. As of right now, the story is still in process. 

Most of the other stories are short and light hearted. The group wins some money in some sort of lotto system, but their payout is very very low. Sarah briefly gets back together with her ex-husband, but then she starts a romance with a fellow divorcee Leslie Shepherd. Shepherd's divorce is big news because his future ex-wife will be marrying a local celebrity football player. Mike tends to get into some money making schemes, while Harry and Dora Klein argue over Dora's decision to take a position as a cleaner at the building. 

In the past, I have struggled with the pacing British soap operas as I found the storytelling moves very quickly, but I've come to appreciate the more frank discussions that this series has to offer. I do think this faster pace works in this more seasonly soaps though I'm aware the long running shows are also popular for a reason. 

Has anyone else watched this show?

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic