45th Anniversary Good Times

Soapsuds

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just about every episode written or co-written by Michael G. Moye, including the one @Soapsuds has posted above, is on my list of favorites.  (Willona's sudden, puritanical attitude toward sex in "Stomach Mumps" seems OOC for her.  However, her change in behavior is justified by the news of Penny's best friend, Tina, becoming pregnant, and her fear that Penny will turn out the same way.)  More than any other writer, Moye -- who went on to produce "The Jeffersons," before co-creating (with the late Ron Leavitt) "Married...with Children" -- seemed to know how to blend humor, pathos and social commentary without any of it feeling forced or treacly.

One of my favorite scenes begins at 20:15:

(If you ask me, Moye could have cleaned up as a writer on AMC or Y&R.)

• Members

Generally speaking, I prefer seasons four through six -- not necessarily because James was dead and John Amos was off the show (even though being rid of his near-constant bellowing had its advantages, lol), but because, that was the time when GT had better writers (Moye, Austin & Irma Kalish, Sid Dorfman, etc.), as well as a "house director" (Gerren Keith) who was African-American, and who could therefore draw more authentic performances out of the show's cast.

• Members

Yes. She. Was.

DuBois was the proverbial glue that held the show together during Esther Rolle's absence.  Without her, I don't think there would have been a sixth season.

The problem, I think, lay in the writers' mindset and approach, not just to GT, but to comedy in general.  Once they found the note to play for each character, they played that note to death.  For James, that note was "angry Black dad."  They never expanded that character beyond his thumbnail description.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the strength in the later seasons. As much as the black nuclear family was needed on TV in the 70s, the kids as young adults making their own way (when they could...) gave the show a different vibe that worked in its own right. The parent-less season with Willona rolling through the front door 7585 times in the opening credits is one of my favorites, and it produced "Penny's Christmas," which is more legendary than any Rankin/Bass holiday special in many homes across America.

I'm not holding my breath, but I hope GT gets some mainstream outside of JJ and James's death one day. Where I'm from, the Evanses (and allll the characters on Sanford and Son) were the "experience" people related to and wanted to see on TV, not the Huxtables.

Archived