Pioneers of Television

dragonflies

• Members

I'm finally seeing the first half of the primetime soaps episode, and two things caught my attention. First, I had no idea Larry Hagman had briefly dated Joan and Jackie in their younger days. Second..."Nobody has eyes like Donna Mills. Bitch."

Also, I've seen the first 30 episodes of Peyton Place as well as some other scattered eps, but I'm always surprised to see how much of it was pure teen soap with Rodney, Allison, Betty, and Norman.

Michele Lee's voice sounds bad.

I am DONE at Joan, Linder, and Diahann proudly explaining their catfights. Dynasty is truly my sh!t, yall!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Was the miniseries episode the last in this series or is there another airing next Tuesday?

Re: the miniseries episode...

1. I've never even heard of Rich Man, Poor Man (or that this is how Nick Nolte became known, as I thought it was through 48 Hours), so to hear that it was immensely popular made me intrigued enough to want to see it. I know that Encore tends to air miniseries once in a while, so I'm hoping that they air this so that I can see what the fuss is about.

2. As sorry as I am to hear that Rachel Ward was traumatized by the negative feedback in The Thorn Birds, I'm relieved to learn that folks knew back then that her acting stunk. For the longest time, I honestly thought that they were enthralled by her talent and wondered just what the hell they were smoking.

• Members

Wow! Rich Man, Poor Man is the father of all mini series and yes, it was what made Nick Nolte. RM,PM is different that other mini series though, in that it is so long it is like watching a series. And then came Rich Man, Poor Man Book II. The first mini series was a brilliant program called QB VII. That was a much more serious themed show/movie, and not a soap or a melodrama in any way.

• Members

This was the third season, actually. You're right, though, that they only do 4 eps a year. Previous eps were Westerns, Game Shows, Crime Dramas, Late Night TV (talk shows), Sitcoms, Local Children's TV, Science Fiction, and Variety Shows. It seems like with each season, they get more specific with the genres/topics they cover. If a new season is coming, then yes, it would be absolutely ridiculous for them to touch on so many other major genres and not do soaps. The live drama anthologies of the 50s would be a good one as well.

I haven't seen the Mini-Series episode yet, but I did skim through it on YouTube, and it looks like a good one. I know they wanted to cover the huge, blockbuster series like Roots and Thorn Birds, but...yeah, part of me hoped they would throw some words in about the soapy, glamorous ones like Hollywood Wives, Sins, Bare Essence, Scruples, etc. But I guess I got my soap fix from the primetime soaps ep :lol:

• Members

Thanks for the correction! Yeah, they do seem to focus primarily on 3 or so "big examples" for each program. Also, though not always, they tend to stick with an era too--I guess when that genre was at its peak (did they cover any recent sitcoms in their sitcom episode? I can't remember)--ie primetime soaps just mentioning the Peyton Place precedent and not mentioning Melrose and the 90s ones.

Besides daytime soaps I wonder what else they could do. Maybe animation (ie vintage Hanna-Barbera), or the rather broad genre of Family Dramas? TV movies would be good too--especially in the 70s when they were such a staple of the schedule.

• Members

Cartoons would definitely be a good episode. I think by doing crime dramas, westerns, and superhero shows specifically, they've opened the door to doing other subgenres. Family dramas would be fun -- definitely Little House, Waltons, Eight is Enough. Medical dramas would be a no-brainer. There have been so many major hits in that genre, I wouldn't even know what they'd narrow it down to. They'd have to do eras to truly cover everything because it seems like each time there's a wave of medical dramas, there's some element of pioneering in it. Start with Kildare/Casey, then Welby/Medical Center, then St. Elsewhere/ER. Grey's Anatomy need not apply.

I don't recall them doing recent sitcoms. The PBS site says they focused on Andy Griffith, Honeymooners, and Dick Van Dyke. They could easily do an episode that is exclusively about 70s sitcoms, focusing on the MTM shows, the Lear shows, and the Garry Marshall shows.

• Members

'60s monster/magic sitcoms could be their own subgenre episode. The Addams Family, The Munsters, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, My Mother the Car... It would be cool if they did a daytime soap episode, but in an hour, what could they possibly talk about that we haven't heard a million times already?

• Members

YEs medical dramas would be obvious--I forgot that one. From Ben Casey to ER I have no clue where their focus would be but... (Oh, I like your list actually).

For family dramas I was actually thinking more like Family, thirtysomething, etc--though they aren't really family dramas in the way you say--sothat would have to be another category "dramas that aren't based around businesses nor or soaps :P". It's too bad they don't do more a year, there really is a lot to cover... :P

• Members

Someone uploaded the first four chapters, so I assume they will eventually do it all.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/woah0NbNZ60" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One miniseries I recommend is Winds Of War and its sequel War And Remembrance.  Combined they are probably 40 hours long so you really get the experience of watching a huge mini series event     It's strange how mini series started out as these major events to tackle serious subjects or books (QB VII, Roots, Holocaust) and wound up being the domain of melodramas and wannabe soap operas.

Archived