Terraces "A Vertical Peyton Place"

• Members

Anyone heard of this? Apparently it was meant to be the pilot for a primetime soap? It almost looks inspired by the hit, scandalous Aussie 70s soap Number 96, but I know that was remade, and a flop in the US in 1980.

(Go to the one minute mark, although there is a cute promo for theflop variety comedy show 3 Girls 3 with Debbie Allen, Ellen Foley and Mimi Kennedy).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=uTIQriI0Owc&NR=1

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's great to read your post, I didn't know if you still posted here.

"First time on TV" makes me wonder if this was some cheapie film or a TV movie.

"Kind of a vertical Peyton Place" is an awful tag.

I'd never heard of 3 Girls 3. NBC was trying a lot of off the track stuff at this time...unfortunately none of it worked.

• Members

It's on Netflix. I've been sitting in my queue for a while now, so I might watch it soon now that I've seen the promo for it.

This is what Netflix says:

It seems to me to be sorta like a soapy dramatic version of Three's Company (not in premise but in setting), and I'm totally down with that.

• Members

To quote Sondheim, I'm still here--don't worry Carl, it'll take more to get rid of me ;) Just been very boring the past couple of weeks.

Thanks everyone. It does look obviously like a primetime pilot. Having a gay lead role would still be pretty groundbreaking, wouldn't it? And it is a terrible tagline though not an awful concept.

3 Girls 3 lasted four episodes--I was talking to a theatre fan who was going on about how much he loved Ellen Foley (it came up a round about way--how pre Bernadette Peters she was the original Witch in Into the Woods when it had its pre-Broadway workshop in San Diego and he got to meet her) and he mentioned how much he loved 3 Girls 3 as a teen. It actually doesn't look awful, albeit an odd mix of serious and comedy--there are a few skits online--good cast anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HPclyh2AuE

Thanks! Great site.

• Members

I watched it last night and yes, this was very clearly inspired by "Number 96." The whacky older couple, the sex-starved plain Jane, the sophisticated career woman, the sexpot, the well-liked gay. All of these characters were on Number 96.

Generally, though, I liked it. The only other thing I've ever seen Kit McDonough in is the first episode of Three's Company, where her character was supposed to be annoying as hell. I didn't realize that that was just her personality shining through, because she was annoying as hell here, too. LMAO at her sleeping with her ex-roommate's husband, though. Skank. The storyline, if you could even call it that, with the old man being upset about the new fashions in his store was lame, IMO. What exactly was the story there? He let his rage at the new clothes get the best of him, and it led to the death of his dog? Stupid. I liked that the gay storyline had a happy ending, but it was kind of boring, and I thought it was over-the-top to have the guy attempt suicide because Cecil Colby was going to leave him. Julie Newmar should have had tons more to do, because her character was easily the most entertaining.

This should have been a mini-series, to be honest. I feel like they could have developed the stories much better that way and given the whole cast more to do.

Oh, and the Peyton Place comparison makes no sense to me at all. First, the "vertical" aspect is irrelevant since all the characters live on the same floor, and second, this wasn't very Peyton Place at all. They should have just called it Number 96 US, to be honest. Even the theme music was obviously based on the Number 96 theme.

Archived