Israel: Iran to pass nuclear threshold within year

aMLCproduction

• Members

JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel's defense minister warns that a nuclear-armed Iran will become inevitable in less than a year.

Ehud Barak told CNN in an interview aired Sunday he believes that Iran is widening its nuclear program, and it will become impossible to stop it in "two quarter(s) or three quarter(s)" of a year.

He did not say when he expects Iran to actually possess nuclear weapons.

The International Atomic Energy Agency issued a report this month citing new evidence that Iran is building nuclear warheads.

Israel considers Iran its most dangerous enemy, partly because of its nuclear program.

Barak refused to say whether Israel was planning a military strike on Iran. He said Israel is keeping all options open, and he expects the rest of the international community to do the same.

Source AP

My only question is who is going to strike first US or Israel? It's not a matter if some one will attack it's now about when? My bet is on the Israeli's. My only fear is the blow back or after shock mainly gas prices and tensions with China.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If this was 20 years ago Israel would strike, the US would pretend to be outraged, the rest of the world would show its anti-semitic colors and condemn Israel while secretly being relieved, Europe would see protests in the streets and the world's jew haters would have a field day. Now, it isn't that easy because this isn't 20 years ago and Iran will not be so easily beaten. I don't know if there is a solution because if Israel does attack all its neighbors will be forced to fall behind Iran and with all these revolutions these countries are already on thin ice.

From Iran's point of view you can't really blame them for wanting a nuke. George Bush showed with Iraq and Korea that if you do not have a nuke we will invade you at will, and if you do have a nuke we are paralyzed. That policy sort of demands these countries to seek nukes to keep the US at bay. Gas prices will be the least of the problems if Israel does attack. This isn't 1973 and planes today and missiles can reach Isreal with ease. They may not have no choice though except to start a war now to prevent a nuclear war later.

• Members

Good points. N Korea does have Nukes. It also has China. Iran will be ble to bite back and really hard. Sending their terroist allies to plot all over the world. I do feel gas prices would be a major concern as it would paralyze the WORLD economy. Iran will close the Straits of Hormuz I think it's called and blocking a large percentage of oil getting through. Rougly in the 30 percent range.

Other countries would be upset, like China if the US or it's ally Isreal would distrupt the world oil supply like that. Leading to a war of resources. It's truly a nasty sitaution. Iran knows what it is doing. I think Isreal will be the one to strike first. It has proven it will with Iraq and Syria just to name a few.

• Members

Back in the old days Israel was stronger than all its neighbors combined. In the Yom Kippur war they needed to get the soviet union to step in before they suffered another humiliating defeat. I sometimes think very kneejerk and say Israel should just bomb the whole lot of them, but that isn't a realistic solution.

• Members

I think perhaps Israel wishes the U.S. would take the lead on this and the U.S. wishes Israel would. I think it would be pretty tough for Obama to do it though in the current political climate.

Would they? Maybe in word, but I can't see it happening in deed. Who in the middle east is even strong enough to openly fight Israel and the United States right now? No one came running to save Iraq from the U.S. for the most part. Anyone who goes to war with Israel has to know the U.S. will be right there to back the Israeli's up.

I have to wonder if the rest of the Arab nations think a nuclear Iran is such a great thing. Iraq/Iran have not exactly been friendly and I don't think they want another fight with the U.S.. The Saudi's are mostly Sunni and the Iranians are mostly Shi'ite, so I wouldn't really call them the best of friends either. The Egyptians have their own problems as does Libya. Hard to fight anyone else when you are in disarray from fighting yourself.

Not to mention the Saudi's are making oil money hand over fist, why go to war against Israel and the U.S. and see their empire turn to dust? I'd wager the Saudi royal family has too much to lose to fight Iran's battles. Hell, they're probably wearing out their prayer beads hoping Israel comes along and weakens the Iranians for them.

Archived