OLTL: Discussion for the week of September 5th

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Only over the last few years?

Hmm, guess you missed RH walking out in 1995 for Malone romanticizing the rapist to the hilt with his Rhett Manning rewrite. How can anyone forget the Todd is a hot stallion imagery from T&B stables sex.

Laughing off the punch really bugged me, too.

• Members

There was always a conflict with RH in the role, probably because RH hated most of the material about Todd's love life. I haven't seen that in recent years, and the show just ran with it. He enjoys sex with women, he has no hang-ups, therefore, he's the ideal man. Through Tea, we're not supposed to care whether he raped Marty - we're just supposed to be pleased that he got it up.

• Members

It makes for a riveting scene because Todd remains so utterly convinced TSJ was just a substitute for himself with Téa. He's like I'm back now and of course you'll put MY needs first.

I actually can't wait for Téa to sit down and explain the whole cancer saga to him so he understands the deep bond she forged with TSJ's Todd.

• Members

Sorry, the conflict with RH in the role was only during the 1993-98 period.

His last run with Blair his rapist past was so forgotten, ABC actually created a Todd DOLL, complete with that cute scar. RME! Only the fans who remembered HOW he got that scar screamed so loud, ABC yanked it out of production. ABC then apologized for their bad taste... rather shocked enough fans still held that against Todd.

During his last run women weren't running away from RH's Todd the rapist but attracted to him and he even used one to make Blair jealous.

Téa was used to make the audience not care about rapemance, I give you that one. However, you failed to note it was through Blair in 1995 and again 2001 we were supposed to stop caring that Todd gang-raped Marty. In fact, in 1995 it was Blair who famously said GET OVER IT already Todd so he'd stop feeling guilty about Marty. THAT was a message to the audience right there. Blair repeated that GET OVER IT already message to TSJ's Todd in January 2009 after his attempted suicide.

When Marty return to town some years back, it was Blair who famously implied Marty asked for it. Jack was parroting his mom's attitude towards Marty.

And OLTL promoted TSJ/KDP's hot sex scenes way before TSJ/FL.

• Members

I think it was there for most of his run, just in different ways. While he did have another child with Blair and was supposed to be in love with her, most of Todd's scenes were played more as screwed-up kookiness. The dead baby + ha ha time with David.

I'm not even sure if the people at OLTL now see her as his mother (unless it's time to blame her for his problems). I can't deny that Blair has been used to facilitate many of Todd's worst qualities, but she has been such an afterthought in the last 3-4 years that I focus more on the messages RC has sent out with his Todd and his downplaying and fetishization of sexual assault.

• Members

We'll agree to disagree because RH's last run the gang rape was not a factor. In fact, the only time it became an issue was with the Viki and resurrected Victor scenes at the very end and it was more lip quick service.

I do agree RH/Todd was neutered of his dangerous side during his last run. He became this KOOKY guy one critic called GOOF and the nickname stuck on the boards. They were the Whacky Mannings aka the Addams Family complete with Starr playing demon daughter Wednesday. RH's Todd doll was based on Starr's whacky South Park cartoonish fantasies.

On one hand I read TSJ's Todd neglected Jack so much that Blair had most of the raising of him and now you suggest OLTL doesn't see her as Jack's mom?

That doesn't compute. It also goes against onscreen events such as Blair pimping Spencer than McBain as new daddy figures while SHE was sole parent to Jack. If anything, the problem is the writers and her fans are so hung up on solely blaming TSJ's Todd for Jack, they can't honestly deal with the fact Blair and Dorian's bad influences on the kids.

Blair jumped TSJ's Todd bones post-rapemance and chased him all over as the one man she had to have... that was in the last 3-4 years so that argument fails too.

• Members

I don't know what people say, but on the show, I felt like the show spent the last few years minimizing any role Blair had in Jack's life and telling people that Todd/Tea were his true parents. Just recently, key scenes mentioned in spoilers (Blair convincing Jack to turn himself in) were cut out, and this after she'd been removed from most of the bullying story.

That's one of the many reasons the bullying story didn't work for me - after several years of painting Todd as a wonderful father and saying it was hilarious and fun that Jack emulated him, suddenly acting like Jack's behavior was wrong was just jarring.

• Members

That wasn't about facilitating Todd as a rapist hero, that was about pushing Todd/Tea. Blair the loser who is so meaningless that Todd shrugs at her lifeless body and when he does manage to tolerate her presence, imagines Tea in her place.

Archived