TOP ABC and CBS Soap to "Emphasize the Women" in 2006...

• Members

Again Thanks to AmyKay at Toni's board for posting this article! Link

Women "Return" In 2006

The Young and the Restless and General Hospital will be shifting the focus to women in 2006.

GH Head Writer explains he wants to "tell the stories more from the woman's point of view..." That doesn't mean GH HW doesn't think that the male characters aren't important, but he doesn't want the female characters to always be "pieces" to a male driven storyline anymore.

Over at Y&R, Jack Smith vows to utilize the "powerhouse actresses" on the show this year. He admits that the show needs more "girlfriends" and that's why the audience has been seeing scenes more scenes of female bonding, such as with Sharon and Drucilla and the business venture with Nikki and Phyllis, "so there's sure to be some fireworks there."

As well, GH Headwriter agrees "that shaking things up will invigorate the storytelling process." He wants to bring more girlfriends into the pairings, and we'll be seeing this more with Lulu and Georgie, and sisters Maxie and Georgie. In other words there will be more emphasis on female friendships this year on GH.

***Okay its true Y&R and GH has TONS of female talent and I sure hope they use them their fullest this year. For Y&R basically I'm talking about Jess Walton and Jeanne Cooper, and for GH all the backburner female vets! I am intrigued however on more "friendly" relationships forming and like the ideas of Dru/Sharon and Nikki/Phyllis bonding.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love how he says

which basically means don't really hold your breath on this one. Plus I find it hard for Pratt and Guza to write women driven stories cause they are so obsessed with killings and murder and blowing up things, with effects that are so fake it's not even funny have the time.

I'm not going to get too excited about this, cause they might start to do it and then be like this isn't working and go back to how they always do things.

• Members

Y&R and "girlfriends?" Right! It won't be long before Phyllis/Nikki and Dru/Sharon have their first respective catfights. Unless you're Nikki and Kay, two women on Y&R can not stand each other for too long. Y&R is the !@#$%^&*]y-ess (Is that a word? LOL!) of the soaps. Even the guys are !@#$%^&*]y. Look at Aunt Jack. LOL!

• Members

I don't know. B&B is THE soap about strong females (and whiny males) and does rather non-exciting in female demos but very good in male demos.

Some soaps just need to paint stronger female roles and not just shift the focus. Only because Carly is the so-called centerpiece of GH doesnot mean she's a) a strong female lead or B) an appealing character...

• Members

See now if guza and pratt do this it will be just as bad as what they have done so far. They will end up having the show revolve totally around a Female character which is just as bad as when it revolves around sonny. They dont know Balance and someone needs to tell them ONE character cannot carry a show.

• Members

Guza and Pratt did "female driven". It was called Models, Inc and there wasn't a convincing female friendship on the entire show. Just more misogynistic crap:

Carrie: Mentally unstable. Slept with her psychiatrist and became a hooker before getting sold to the white slave trade. By another woman.

Linda: Beaten up by her boyfriend.

Sarah: Also beaten up by her boyfriend before becoming an alcoholic drug addict courtesy of a guy and losing her baby.

Cynthia: Bulimic who got raped in front of her boyfriend.

Julie: Slut who slept around to get jobs and sabotaged her friends' careers.

Grayson: Madam and killer.

Teri: Thrown off a balcony.

All in the space of one season. Suffice to say Pruza is not the byword of well drawn female characters and relationships.

• Members

I disagree. Carly shouldn't be the centerpiece of the show, but she is a strong female lead. And I'd say a pretty appealing character as well. She may be desperate and pathetic at times, but overall, girl has a backbone. Which was severely lacking on this show.

• Members

I mean they need to be repaired! LOL.

Victor - He's no longer TGVN. He's an old goat after all.

Jack - His fued with Victor is classic, but its gotten so lame Jack just seems a bit sad, really.

Neil - Good greif is he boring. I wouldn't blame Dru if she left him for someone more exciting. Phyllis, perhaps? :P You know they want to.

And Lauren and Glo have got John and Mikey's balls in their handbags.

Archived