AMC: The Tyler's, Phil Brent and Tara Martin

• Members

I was recently watching Tom and Erica's 1978 wedding on YouTube and I have a few questions about the Tyler family because I'm now somewhat confused.

In the below clip, Chuck is taking to his "grandmother," Phoebe Tyler who would really be his step grandmother, but regardless, is this the son of Tara and Phil? If so, he was rapidly aged??? And who is the little boy with who I am assume is Tara? I'm really thrown off guard. I thought Tara married Chuck Jr and though he was the father of Phil Brent's son?

I know Chuck Jr. and his wife died in a car accident but when? Did Ann Tyler die the same way? Any info available on all of the Tyler family, I'd really appreciate.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ETA: or is the Tyler grandson the son of Chuck Tyler Jr. who died in the car accident making him not rapidly aged? Meaning Chuck Tyler Jr and his wife were never seen on screen? I'm so confused now.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Charles Tyler (played by Hugh Franklin) had Charles Tyler Jr. with his first wife. The first wife, Chuck Jr. and Chuck Jr.'s wife all died before 1970. Chuck III (contemporary of Phil, Tara, and Erica) was a teen upon the show's debut. Phil got Tara pregnant in 1971-1972 before he was sent to Vietnam, but Tara and Chuck decided to say that the kid was Chuck's. I believe he was born Charles Tyler IV (in 1972). Somewhere along the line, the truth came out, and everyone knew that the kid (Charlie) was Phil's. Charlie is the kid with Tara in the vid. He didn't get along well with Phil at first at all (he considered Chuck his "real" dad), but I think he eventually warmed up to him. The character became known as Charlie Brent and was a major adult character in the early 90s.

ETA: He was born Phillip Charles Tyler. I believe that this was when Phil was presumed dead, so Tara and Chuck named "their" child after him.

• Members

AMS, thank you so much for this info! So that explains a lot. I can't believe they aged Tara's son that much when Christopher Lawford took over the role. I always thought it was a real shame that they never gave Linc and Kelly a son so the Tyler name could continue.

Also, thanks for clearing that up for me. All this time I was thinking that the Chuck Tyler when the show premiered was Linc's brother. I really forgot that Dr. Tyler was much older than Phoebe which is why she was his second wife and that Chuck III was Linc and Anne's nephew.

• Members

Also, whatever happened with Chuck as in Chuck Phoebe's grandson. Did they just completely write him out? The same goes for Phil Brent. I know Tara hasn't been seen since her brief return in 1995 when Kelsey was introduced.

• Members

Chuck and Donna remarried and left town together. They are living happily ever after offscreen.

Phil Brent was killed while undercover -- I think it was 1979 -- can't look for sure right now.

Anne Martin was killed in a car bomb (I think taht's right) meant for Paul.

• Members

I hate the lack of Tyler representation after the early 80s. Linc and Kelly left in 1980, Anne died a year later, and Chuck left a few years after that. Dr. Tyler died a few years after that. Chuck returned in the late 80s, but left for good after about three years. I think it's at least good that Linc and Kelly and Chuck and Donna were able to ride off in the sunset and live happily ever after. Killing off Anne was a mistake, IMO, because she had at least ten more years of story in her and could have had children to carry on the Tyler name.

Archived