Another World

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I've been thinking about it. And it's none of your business, nor is it anyone else's but I just want to satisfy your curiosity so maybe you will not harp on it after this. It's true that I had suspensions from posting 2 times. Both times were for posting off-topic.

One time was in the OLTL discussion thread & the actual topic was things P&G did & that is what I posted about, P&G, but the posts were not about OLTL so I was caught in a catch-22. I did my time. 

The second time was in the daily DAYS topic & I posted that I was going off-topic for about 2 minutes & then I'd be back on the show, which I was. The off-topic content was to tell people about the Google baby yodas thing. For that one single off-topic comment I was suspended & again I did my time. 

Now you no longer have to be curious. Have a nice day. 

• Members

Hugh Marlowe was awful in the 1980/81 episodes uploaded to AOL, obviously reading off cue cards and probably not in good health. I recently saw him in the 1951 western Rawhide, and he was good. Seeing him in 1981, time was not kind to him.

• Members

Ray Liotta mentions Another World in a previously unpublished Deadline interview:

"It was Another World, and I played the nicest character in the world, Joey Perrini. The producer would go to Broadway shows, go to the people backstage that had parts he knew that were coming up, and he’d ask them, “Why don’t you come and do this? You’ll make some money, because you’re not making money here in the theater, and whatever time you need to get to the theater, I’ll make sure your stuff is done and you get there.” So, I was working with really good actors. Kathleen Widdoes was my mother. She was just great. So, I really was learning in front of the camera. Doing a soap, you don’t take it that serious, which is great because you’re looser to do whatever you want."

I loved him as Joey and was shocked (in a good way) with his chilling performance in Something Wild. I would not have predicted he'd go on to movie stardom after AW, but I'm so glad he did. The whole interview is worth reading, IMO.

https://deadline.com/2023/08/ray-liotta-interview-goodfellas-black-bird-1235456381/

• Members

The discipline of soaps is of course significantly different from film or stage or even a weekly series. The amount of material to memorize would be huge, with less rehearsal. I'm not surprised to hear of actors relying on the prompter under those conditions. So it's not necessarily a decline over time but an unwillingness or inability to really work at the pace a soap requires and try not to make it obvious that you are relying on crutches to keep up. 

• Members

I watched Hugh Marlowe during most of his run on Another World (1969 to 1982), and he struggled with his lines almost continuously -- sometimes to the point of embarrassment  Frankly, I'm surprised he didn't get fired.  On the other hand, he was charming and lovable as Jim Matthews (despite his acting difficulties), and I liked him in the role.

I have seen Marlowe in several movies, and he was a very fine film actor.  It appears he just couldn't handle the rigors of daytime television, or was perhaps unwilling to prepare adequately.  But the differences in his film performances and his work on Another World are jarring.  

An actor who played one of Jim Matthews' children on Another World reportedly shared that Marlowe had new marriage and a late-in-life child in 1969, and took the job on AW in order to support his new family. The actor also commented that Marlowe more or less phoned-in his performances on AW and did not take the job very seriously.  

• Members

Marlowe was the fourth actor to play Jim Matthews.  He assumed the role in 1969 (possibly '68).  The names and  premiere dates of the other three actors are available on the AWHP.   

Also, I'm almost positive the Paley Center does not have the first week of Another World in their collection.  Perhaps you watched the first week of another soap, is that possible?   

I believe there were four actors who played Steve Olson over the years.  I do not have their names at the moment.  

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

I'm on Day 5 of my petition drive to get a Posthumous Emmy for Beverlee McKinsey. If you haven't signed I urge you to do so! They've given some Posthumous awards & I think Beverlee is exceptionally deserving!! Thanks for your consideration!  https://chng.it/WVxjPPpL82

• Members

As you know I set out to correct the idea that Beverlee McKinsey had the first star billing, rather than the last, and one of the places was her IMDb page. Well, it turns out it is amazingly difficult to do! I have just this morning submitted by 3rd correction & I think this one will go. 

Here's how it laid out:

• McKinsey, Beverlee
    • Trivia - Replace
      • Old -
        McKinsey's character, Iris Cory Carrington Delaney Bancroft, on [link=tt0057731] proved so popular that she was made the star of the soap's spin-off series, [link=tt0080290]. McKinsey remains the only star on daytime television to be given star billing in a soap opera.
        New -
        McKinsey's character, Iris Cory Carrington Delaney Bancroft, on [link=tt0057731] proved so popular that she was made the star of the soap's spin-off series, [link=tt0080290]. McKinsey remains the last star on daytime television to be given star billing in a soap opera. It includes her face & the words "Starring Beverlee McKinsey".

• Members

Sadly, the incorrect information is so ingrained as truth in popular soap-opera culture, it is very possible the person in charge of Beverlee's IMDB page will simply not believe you.  Perhaps if you added a bit more evidence, like the following statement: "McKinsey is among a very small group of daytime actors (including Rosemary Prinz and Dana Andrews) who were given star billing in the opening credits. And to date, McKenzie is the last actor to receive that recognition. Her billing on TEXAS included her face and the words, "starring Beverlee McKenzie."   

This is just an idea that might convince IMDB that your edit is indeed factual. Or at least it might convince them to do a little research to find the truth.  But feel free to disregard it, if you feel it is unnecessary.  

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

For any of you who were interested in the correction of inaccurate information about the first star billing instance in soaps, this has been published today. 

https://shallotpeelblog.org/2023/08/19/blog-249-v-2-star-billing-in-us-soap-operas/

I want to say a word about research. I love it. I also love the writing once the research is done. I find research to be tidy when you begin with an idea & tidy at the end when you've done all that can be dug up & you write it up but very messy in the middle. You've got lots of notes & people are throwing ideas or facts or both at you, which you are glad of, and some things seem to contradict each other often & then it comes together. Like the A-Team I like it when a plan comes together. Thank you for your attention & for those of you who helped me get the Mary Stuart-Donald May-Jonathan Frid "groupies" off my tail, extra thanks! 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges