Emmy-winning "Young and Restless" star BETH MAITLAND drops by Brandon's Buzz!

• Members

Back in 1985, her role as tortured novelist-to-be Traci Abbott Carlton won her "The Young and the Restless'" very first acting Emmy trophy. She still makes periodic appearances on "Y&R" whenever the Abbott family is either in crisis or celebration mode, and now, the terrific Beth Maitland is dropping by Brandon’s Buzz to discuss her time on the show as well as her latest projects and passions!

Brandon’s Buzz

February 24, 2009

4pm EST / 1pm PST

(347) 202-0799

www.blogtalkradio.com/brandonsbuzz

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good get, Brandon.

What I wish is that you -- and the other soap radio shows -- would considering doing transcripts. I believe that transcripts -- if not the whole thing, then key quotes -- would greatly increase the impact of your important interviews. Many people won't download the podcasts or take the time to listen...it is just the reality of a full life...but they will voraciously read and respond to your transcript. Just a thought--if you want to have even stronger impact.

• Members

I understand where you are coming from Mark, but the whole point of doing the interview is in the hopes that people will listen to the show. The whole show.

If people are too lazy to listen to the podcast, press the FF button on all the stuff they don't want to hear and then listen to the parts of the interview they want to hear, then that is the fault of the listener.

After all, if someone could just post a transcript without actually hearing the interview, what's the point of doing a radio show/podcast anyway?

• Members

I disagree for several reasons.

First, as a hearing impaired person (which I realize is my unique issue), the podcasts are just hard. I also don't like serial processing (listening rather than reading)...but that is a different issue.

Second, think about every SOD or SOW interview. Those interviews were ALSO done verbally, but their impact is rendered far and wide by being in print.

Third, I'm not suggesting doing away with podcasts. I'm simply suggesting that their reach can be extended.

Fourth, if the idea is to attract eyeballs/eardrums to a particular site, then I think the transcripts could be printed on Brandon's site and rendered copy-resistant (e.g., check out the daily updates on yrnews.com....they have been made hard to cut-and-paste). Then Brandon could print links, and maybe teasers (like Marlena Delacroix does) here on this site.

All of a sudden, for a hot interview, Roger Newcomb and/or DaytimeConfidential, etc., would paste links to Brandon's site. He would get the podcast hits, and he would also get the transcript hits.

In my opinion, he would reach a MUCH MUCH MUCH wider audience. (This would also be true for Buzzworthy Radio, In The Zone, DaytimeConfidential podcasts, and Stardish Radio...all the "big" ones).

This is just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth. But I have some evidence to back up my opinion:

DaytimeConfidential does weekly podcasts, sometimes with interviews, but they almost never get much buzz. But for ONE of their hot interviews (Victoria Rowell), they printed more of a transcript. And that could picked up by a few people, probably most importantly Canadian TVGuide. And because that was in print (and incendiary), the interview had a huge impact.

I am virtually certain that transcripts would substantially increase yield. If a podcaster wanted, they could delay the release of transcripts by 7- or 14-days. That would ensure that podcast itself has a significant shelf life, before extending the non-audio shelf life with a transcript.

One last thing: If the transcript production is too cumbersome for the podcaster, this would be a great way to involve volunteers.

• Members

No insensititivy inferred at all! I was just talking about how transcripts could extend the reach of these interviews--including to those who can't really enjoy the audio interviews.

Look at this thread. Look how many hits it already has! And that is because someone took the time to type out the key elements.

Brandon "loses" those hits. Now, if he had a transcript on some site that belonged to him, and asked for a "link-only" policy, he would NOT ONLY get the audio hits (i.e., to the podcast), but all those transcript hits too.

I have been shocked how LITTLE coverage all these great audio interviews are getting...even in terms of discussion on these boards. I think that is because most people don't listen. But if they could read, I predict the reach of these wonderful interviews could be quadrupled.

Archived