Daytime's DVR Threat

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Fascinating! It only goes to show that the future is OFF television, in a classic way. Business models need to shift to habits that are on-demand, and often internet-delivered.

I very much like the low-clutter ads on online streaming programs...ads that CANNOT be avoided easily. Also, the streaming shows are often housed in an 'envelope' that also includes a persistent ad.

The question is whether next-generation DVR-delievered on-demand shows can use a similar "mandatory ad' format (or a for-pay option for those who wish to avoid ads). I think that is the future.

• Members

I dislike the ads on streaming content. I watch EoN at aolvideo and to be honest I would rather pay a nominal fee than constantly being subjected to Geiko ads or whatever. But anyway, the way the networks measure viewers is woefully outdated. Even their timeframe to measure views on DVR is unrealistic. I watch DOOL and sometimes save up 10 episodes to watch in one sitting. I have movies saved in my DVR for months queued up, and theoretically they are not counting me.

• Members

I don't know why SoapNet hasn't reserved a Soaps On Demand channel on cable. To be able to to SoapsOnDemand and watch Monday's, Tuesday's, Wednesday's, etc episode of OLTL and then slide over to the Y&R column and pick up last Friday's episode would be SO convenient and I would think the On Demand stations should be able to track views and selections EASIER because it's all our button selections per-episode. On Demand doesn't really have ads, though, but if you go like HBO or Showtime as a premium channel that you have to pay for, they can all get their piece of the pie that way.

Options to watch any number of Soapography episodes, Night Shift, four or five Sunday Night Movie selections, or even those fall premiere catch-up episode things they were doing this season, and you have a GREAT On Demand channel.

I think it would stand to reason that those who subscribe to the On Demand SoapNet would still be viewers of the regular SoapNet channel, but this would be a backup to the backup in terms of catching up on soaps, if you can only sit down to watch on a Sunday morning, when all SoapNet wants to play is Beverly Hills 90210 and One Tree Hill.

I don't have DVR, but subscribe to OnDemand for HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, and HereTV. I don't always tune into those channels, but I pay monthly for the option to have them to fit MY busy schedule. Shouldn't soaps jump on that bandwagon? It would also put the soap viewing back in the hands of viewers, while SoapNet continues to erode its schedule with non-soap programming.

• Members

quartermaine, I am watching EoN on Trueveo...no ads. Although truthfully, I'm not as bothered when it's one 30-second commercial every ten minutes or so as it is when there's a slew of them every five (think Oprah). You would think researchers would look into this. It's far easier to remember that one commercial for Geico than to remember all five that aired in between episode acts. Ads used to be almost a whole minute, but now they are down to 15 seconds.

I have DVRed everything for the past three years. When people ask if I've seen the commercial where...I have to stop them, because I don't watch commercials.

Product placement is also the wave of the future. Not in an embarassingly Campell's Go Red Fashion Show way where Babe is propping the essential vitamins and minerals in a can of chicken noodle, but in an Ugly Betty Amanda Opens a Drawer full of Healthy Choice Dinners and Says Not Another Word kind of way.

Archived