Michael Logan Perfectly Sums of Y&R's Current State

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"This soap has somehow lost its opera"

That sums it up. Y&R now is just a bunch of sh*t happening. There's nothing long term, nothing seems to have a consequence, nobody is moving forward (or backward). It's like soap opera purgatory. It isn't bad...it's just not any good either.

The emotion has been sucked out of Y&R. It's just a whole lot of plot and I don't understand it because the show was so improved during the Fi Core weeks...to those who hate Kay Alden...at least she understood long term plotting, you may have hated what she wrote, but you've got to admit that she did have a long term projection.

• Members

Logan is right though, NOTHING is happening on this show. Maria is like traditional version of JER, the plotting is all wrong and the dire pace isn't helping things.

The show isn't technically bad and no damage is being done to its core, but the stories are all wrong and there's no movement. Something needs to do done to spice this show up soon. By the looks of it, both Maria and Josh Griffith need to be gone for that to happen.

• Members

I would also add that it was also profoundly uninteresting in that nothing major happened backstage. You could always rely on it to deliver. It wasn't a soap about these major stunts, quasi-big, shocking stories... Just good drama, meticulously crafted by Bill Bell.

That's why I couldn't wait for Smith and Alden to get fired. Only, the moment I found out it was Lynn Latham, I was furious.

• Members

Curlee/Shaughnessy? :unsure: Curlee as a choice comes with a tiny bit of unease in that I know she is a superb writer, however she would have to make minor adjustments to fit seamlessly into Y&R's way. Or even better, she could transform into into something new, Curlee-esque.

Archived